Bacon-wrapped chicken breast with cauliflower purée
- 1 lb 450 g chicken breastchicken breasts
- 10 oz. 275 g bacon
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb 450 g fresh spinach
- 4 4 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- 2 oz. 50 g butter
- ½ lb 225 g cauliflower
- 1⁄3 cup 75 ml heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper
- Press the garlic cloves hard with the handle of a knife so they get slightly mashed. Peel off the skin. Butter-fry over medium heat until golden. Watch out—it can go from golden to burned in a flash, and burned garlic is bitter. Remove from heat and leave the garlic in the pan while you do the rest.
- Rinse and trim the cauliflower and divide into smaller florets. Cook in lightly salted water until tender. Remove the florets with a strainer ladle and reserve some of the water.
- Put the cauliflower in a blender or food processor together with the garlic cloves and the pan juices. The pan juices add additional flavor!
- Add the cream and purée until smooth. If needed you can add some of the reserved cooking water to the purée to make it thinner. Start with a few tablespoons of cooking water and add more if needed, until you reach the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Wrap one or two slices of bacon around each chicken breast. Fry in oil or butter until the bacon turns a nice color. Keep frying in the pan over low heat or place in a hot oven (400°F/200°C) for 15 minutes. Use a meat thermometer if you're unsure; at 165°F (74°C) the chicken breast is ready.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and keep warm for a few minutes while you use the same pan to fry the spinach. Serve immediately with the purée.
The purée is an excellent side dish for red meats such as pork, lamb and beef. If you're thinking about making it 100% vegetarian, you can also serve it with freshly cooked vegetables. The purée is also super delicious in casseroles with grated cheese.
Storing the dish
The purée can be prepared ahead and stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days or in the freezer for up to one month.