Slow-cooked chicken with broccoli salad
- 5 5 lime leaflime leaves
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp coriander seed
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup 225 ml Greek yogurt or other type of yogurt with a high fat content
- 3 lbs 1.5 kg chicken legchicken legs
- 2 tsp 2 tsp salt
- 2 2 lime for servinglimes for serving (optional)
- 1 lb 450 g broccoli
- 1 cup 225 ml mayonnaise
- ½ cup 125 ml chopped
- salt and pepper
- Grind the spices and mix with the yogurt. Salt the chicken and put it in a plastic bag. Pour in the yogurt marinade and massage it into the chicken.
- Marinate (in the refrigerator) for 2-3 hours or overnight. If you are in a rush, marinate for at least 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Put chicken and marinade in a slow cooker and cook on high heat for three hours or low for 6-8 hours. Remove and let cool. You can prepare up to this step a day ahead.
- Prepare the grill and finish off the chicken with a nice browned surface, about 5-10 minutes on each side, depending on size and heat.
- If you don't have access to a grill, you can sear the boiled chicken in the oven using the broiler setting. Cut the limes in half and fry or grill alongside the chicken, cut side down. They add a wonderful flavor.
Broccoli and cilantro salad
- Boil the broccoli in lightly salted water; a minute or two is enough.
- Mix the mayonnaise with freshly chopped cilantro and add the broccoli. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve paired with the chicken, with an extra dollop of butter or mayonnaise on the side.
Can't find lime leaves? Substitute with any two of the following (per leaf): ½ bay leaf, ½ tsp lime zest, or ¼ tsp fresh lemon thyme.