Mushroom and ricotta stuffed chicken breasts
- 4 4 chicken breast (approx. 0.33 lb / 150 g each)chicken breasts (approx. 0.33 lb / 150 g each)
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- 2½ oz. 75 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp coconut aminos or tamari soy sauce
- 7 oz. 200 g ricotta cheese
- 1 oz. 30 g parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 tsp 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 oz. 175 g leafy greens
- 1 cup 225 ml sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C), fan forced. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cut a pocket into the side of each chicken breast by cutting most of the way through, as if you were going to butterfly the breast.
- Rub one quarter of the olive oil over the outside of the chicken breasts and season well with sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Heat one quarter of the olive oil in a heavy bottom frying pan and add the sliced mushrooms. Cook for approx. 5 minutes over high heat until the mushrooms are brown and crispy.
- Add the thyme leaves and the coconut aminos and cook for 3 more minutes, stirring well.
- In a bowl, combine the ricotta, parmesan cheese, onion powder and cracked black pepper.
- Lay your chicken breasts out and divide the ricotta evenly between them. Spoon the ricotta into the center of the chicken and spread it out to fill the cavity.
- Pile the savory mushroom mixture on to the ricotta and top each breast with one sprig of thyme. Fold the chicken breast back over the filling.
- Heat the remaining half of the olive oil in a frying pan until hot. Sear the chicken breasts for five minutes on each side and then place on a baking tray. Bake for 20 more minutes in the oven.
- Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil and rest for 10 more minutes. Serve with leafy greens and a dollop of sour cream.
Store, wrapped or covered, in the refrigerator for up to one week.