Mushroom and ricotta stuffed chicken breasts
- 4 (2 lbs) 4 (900 g) chicken breastchicken breasts
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- 2½ oz. (1 cup) 70 g (240 ml) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp coconut aminos or
- 7 oz. (¾ cup) 200 g (190 ml) ricotta cheese
- 1 oz. 28 g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 tsp 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 oz. (3 cups) 170 g (700 ml) leafy greens
- 1 cup 240 ml
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cut a pocket into the side of each chicken breast by cutting most of the way through, as if you were going to butterfly the breast.
- Rub one-quarter of the olive oil over the outside of the chicken breasts and season well with sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Heat another quarter of the olive oil in a large frying pan, over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for approximately 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are brown and crispy.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the thyme leaves and coconut aminos or tamari soy sauce. Cook for 3 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the ricotta, parmesan cheese, onion powder, and black pepper.
- Spread equal portions of the ricotta mixture into the pockets of the chicken breasts. Pile the savory mushroom mixture onto the ricotta and top each breast with one sprig of thyme. Fold the chicken breast back over the filling.
- Heat the remaining half of the olive oil in a frying pan, over medium heat until hot. Sear the chicken breasts for five minutes on each side and then place on the baking tray. Bake on the middle oven rack for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 10 more minutes. Serve with leafy greens and a dollop of sour cream.
Store, wrapped or covered, in the refrigerator for up to five days.