Lisa’s keto chicken skillet with mushrooms and parmesan
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1½ lbs 650 g boneless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 8 oz. (3¼ cups) 230 g (800 ml) baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 4 4 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cups 350 ml heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup (11⁄3 oz.) 120 ml (40 g) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp 1 tsp fresh parsley
- Over medium heat, in a large skillet, warm the avocado oil. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Fry in the skillet, until browned and cooked through; remove chicken to a plate with a slotted spoon, reserving juices in the pan.
- Add garlic to the frying pan and stir-fry until soft; add mushrooms and sauté until softened, for about 5-7 minutes.
- Over medium-low heat, add heavy cream, stirring well. Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes stirring often. Stir in parmesan cheese until melted. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken back into skillet and coat with sauce. Serve garnished with parsley.
Serve with a fresh side salad or steamed low carb vegetables like broccoli, spinach, or asparagus.
While chicken thighs are flavorful and satiating because of their higher fat content, feel free to make the dish with chicken breasts (preferably skin on) or chicken drumsticks, or a mix of both. You can also substitute pork chops or slices of pork tenderloin.
I'm glad you all enjoyed this dish so much! It's a favorite in our house as well.
Do you think if I replace chicken with shrimp, the recipe is still going to taste good/
Hi, Ed! That would be a personal preference. If you think a parmesan cream sauce will be good with shrimp, then it's worth a shot! We also recommend trying it with pork chops or pork tenderloin.
Thank you for sharing your tips!
Great way to make it work for you and the kids! So glad you all enjoyed it!
You could use less parmesan cheese or another mild cheese like mozzarella but that runs the risk of clumping as it melts in the sauce.