Keto pesto chicken casserole with feta cheese and olives
- 25 oz. 700 g boneless chicken thighs or chicken breastchicken breasts
- 1 oz. 30 g butter, for frying
- 3 oz. 75 g red pesto or green pesto
- 1¼ cups 300 ml heavy whipping cream
- 3 oz. 75 g pitted olives
- 5 oz. 150 g feta cheese, diced
- 1 1 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 5 oz. 150 g leafy greens
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut the chicken thighs or chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add butter to a large skillet and fry the chicken pieces in batches on medium-high heat until golden brown.
- Mix pesto and heavy cream in a bowl.
- Place the fried chicken pieces in a baking dish together with olives, feta cheese and garlic. Add the pesto.
- Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes, until the dish turns bubbly and light brown around the edges.
A simple side dish of field greens or crunchy romaine complements the rich flavors. Lightly sautéed asparagus or green beans work, too. If you feel like making this dish even heartier you can pair it with cauliflower rice, roasted cauliflower or fried broccoli.
This dish can be prepared by frying the chicken ahead of time. You can assemble the entire casserole and keep in the fridge for a day before baking it. Just make sure you let it come to room temperature before placing in the oven. It's also good to give it a stir since the pesto can sink to the bottom.
If you have chicken or turkey leftovers they are perfect for this dish. Just skip the first 3 steps of the instructions and take it from there.
If you're short on time you can also use a rotisserie chicken. Take the meat from the bones and divide into bite-sized pieces. Follow the instructions from step 3.
Storing and reheating
If you intend to eat the casserole within 2-3 days you can store it in the fridge. Otherwise it's better to place the casserole in the freezer where it will last up to 3 months. Make sure your dish is suitable for freezing.
Let thaw in the refrigerator the day before you plan on serving it. Don’t place a cold baking dish straight from the fridge into a hot oven as this can cause your dish to crack. Reheat the casserole in the oven at 300°F (150°C) until thoroughly warm.