Keto Tex-Mex casserole
- 1½ lbs 650 g ground beef or ground turkey
- 3 oz. 85 g butter
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp Tex-Mex seasoning
- 1 cup (9 oz.) 240 ml (250 g) crushed tomatoes
- 2 oz. 55 g pickled jalapeños
- 2 cups (8 oz.) 475 ml (230 g) cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¾ cup 180 ml or
- 1 (½ oz.) 1 (15 g) , finely chopped, finely chopped
- 5 oz. (2½ cups) 140 g (600 ml) leafy greens or iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup 240 ml guacamole (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Fry the ground beef in butter on medium high heat, until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Add Tex-Mex seasoning and crushed tomatoes. Stir and let simmer for 5 minutes. Taste to see if it needs additional salt and pepper.
- Place the ground-beef mixture in a greased baking dish (about 9" or 23 cm in diameter). Top with jalapeños and cheese.
- Bake on upper rack in oven for 15–20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Mix the scallion with the crème fraîche or sour cream in a separate bowl.
- Serve the casserole warm with a dollop of the crème fraîche or sour cream, guacamole and a green salad.
Get moreStart free trial
Make your own Tex-mex seasoning
Don't be scared to recreate the flavors of Texas and Mexico right in the comfort of your own kitchen. Making your own Tex-Mex seasoning blend kicks sugar out the door and puts you in the driver’s seat. And, since variety is the spice of life, play around a little! Switch in hot smoked paprika or smoked salt. Grind up dried specialty peppers, or chop up a chipotle in adobo sauce. Taste as you go and you can't go wrong! Your Tex-Mex experience will be elevated to the next level.
How to vary this dish
This casserole can be varied in a million and one ways. You can wrap it up in our low-carb tortillas, fill a crunchy keto taco shell or serve it burrito style. The whole neighborhood will want to spend Taco Tuesdays at your place.
If you're not so much into the southern spice mood, substitute the Tex-Mex flavors (seasoning, jalapeños and guacamole) for pesto or add garlic powder, basil, salt and black pepper to taste. Top it with shredded mozzarella, sliced fresh tomatoes and a generous amount of grated parmesan cheese and you'll have an Italian version that's to die for.
If you feel like flirting with Indian cuisine you can substitute the ground beef for ground pork or ground chicken and season it with curry powder and Garam masala.
How to store this casserole
This dish can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator a day before you plan on serving it. Remove from the fridge about 30 minutes before reheating. Placing a cold baking dish straight from the fridge into a hot oven can cause your casserole dish to crack. Reheat in the oven at 300°F (150°C) until thoroughly warm.