Keto Tex-Mex casserole
- 25 oz. 700 g ground beef
- 7 oz. 200 g crushed tomatoes
- 2 oz. 50 g pickled jalapeños
- 7 oz. 200 g shredded cheese, for example Monterey Jack
- 1 cup 240 ml crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1 1 scallion, finely choppedscallions, finely chopped
- 2 oz. 50 g butter
- 1 cup 225 ml guacamole, for serving (optional)
- 4 oz. 110 g leafy greens, for serving
- 2 tsp 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 - 2 tsp 1 - 2 tsp onion powder or garlic powder
- 1 pinch 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Fry the ground beef in butter on medium high heat, until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Add taco seasoning and tomatoes. Stir and let simmer for 5 minutes. Taste to see if if needs additional salt and pepper.
- Place the ground-beef mixture in a greased baking dish (about 9" or 23 cm in diameter). Top with jalapenos and cheese.
- Bake on upper rack in oven for 15–20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Chop the scallion finely and mix in with the crème fraiche or sour cream.
- Serve the casserole with a dollop of crème fraiche or sour cream, guacamole and a green salad.
Don’t be intimidated! Making your own seasoning blend kicks sugar out the door and puts you in the driver’s seat. And, since variety is the spice of life, play around a little! Switch in hot smoked paprika or smoked salt. Grind up dried specialty peppers, or chop up a chipotle in adobo sauce. Taste as you go and you can do no wrong!
This casserole can be frozen. Let thaw in the refrigerator a day before you plan on serving it. Don’t place a cold baking dish straight from the fridge into a hot oven, as this can cause your dish to crack. Reheat the casserole in the oven at 300°F (150°C) until thoroughly warm.