- 1½ lbs 700 g ground beef
- 7 oz. 200 g crushed tomatoes
- 2 oz. 50 g pickled jalapeños
- 7 oz. 200 g shredded cheese, for example Monterey Jack
- 1 cup 240 ml crème fraiche
- 1 1 scallion, finely choppedscallions, finely chopped
- 2 oz. 50 g butter
- 1 cup 225 ml guacamole, for serving (optional)
- 2 teaspoons 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons 2 teaspoons paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 - 2 teaspoons 1 - 2 teaspoons onion powder or garlic powder
- 1 pinch 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Fry the ground beef in butter, until cooked through and no longer pink. Add taco seasoning and tomatoes.
- Place the ground-beef mixture in a baking dish. Top with jalapenos and cheese. Bake on upper rack in oven for 15–20 minutes.
- Chop the chives finely and mix in with the sour cream.
- Serve with sour cream, guacamole and a green salad.
Don’t be intimidated! Making your own seasoning blend kicks sugar out the door and puts you in the driver’s seat. And, since variety is the spice of life, play around a little! Switch in hot smoked paprika or smoked salt. Grind up dried specialty peppers, or chop up a chipotle in adobo sauce. Taste as you go and you can do no wrong!