Carne asada with avocado salad
- 2 2 lemon, juicelemons, juice
- 1 1 orange, juiceoranges, juice
- 2 tsp 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp 2 tsp dried coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 1 tsp 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) large yellow onion, dicedlarge yellow onions, diced
- 2 2 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- ¼ cup 60 ml avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 lbs 900 g flank steak
- fresh cilantro, to garnish
- Squeeze the lemons and orange into a large bowl or a ziplock bag. Add in the seasonings, onion, garlic, apple cider vinegar, and avocado oil. Mix well.
- Put the steak in the bag or bowl and toss to coat with marinade. Let sit in the marinade at room temperature one hour before cooking. If marinating over-night for maximum flavor, put it in the fridge, turning over once halfway through.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F (250°C) on broil or prepare the grill.
- Place a cooling rack over your sheet pan and brush with fat. Set the meat on the pan (with the rack), directly under the broiler. Broil for 9 minutes, flip over and broil another 9 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the oven and place it on a cutting board to rest for 10 minutes.
- While the meat rests prepare the avocado salad. Peel and seed the avocado. Put the cut side down and slice the avocado into thin slices.
- Add the avocado and red onion to the bowl. Drizzle in olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Sprinkle coarse salt over the salad.
- Slice the steak against the grain in thin slices.
- Serve the steak with fresh cilantro and the avocado salad. Enjoy!
You can use any combination of citrus for the marinade. All lemon or lime, or all orange too! If you like some heat, you can add one fresh jalapeño to the mix too! If you have the possibility to grill, you really should spend the extra time to grill the meat instead of using the oven. Make sure not to over-cook it. An inner temperature around 130-135°F (54-57°C) is optimal.