Stuffed peppers with ground beef and cheese
- 1 oz. 28 g butter, for greasing the baking dish
- 4 (1¼ lbs) 4 (550 g)
- ¼ cup 60 ml olive oil, divided
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) , finely chopped, finely chopped
- 2 2 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1½ lbs 650 g ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 tsp 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp 2 tsp ground cumin
- 7 oz. (¾ cup) 200 g (200 ml) crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- ½ lb (2 cups) 220 g (450 ml) cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 cup 240 ml or mayonnaise
- 4 oz. (2 cups) 110 g (475 ml) leafy greens
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease a 9x12 baking dish.
- Cut the peppers in half, lengthwise, and discard the seeds.
- Place the peppers in the baking dish, and drizzle half of the olive oil on top of the peppers.
- Heat the rest of the olive oil in a frying pan, over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and fry until soft.
- Add the ground beef, and fry until no longer pink. Then add the chili, cumin, salt, pepper and crushed tomatoes. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in half the cheese.
- Stuff the peppers with ground-beef mixture, sprinkle cheese on top and place in oven.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and leafy greens.