Low carb Zoodles Bolognese
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g)
- 1 1 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- 3 oz. (¾ cup) 85 g (200 ml) celery stalkcelery stalks
- 1½ lbs 650 g ground beef or ground turkey
- 3 oz. 85 g butter or olive oil
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp
- 14 oz. (12⁄3 cups) 400 g (400 ml) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp dried oregano or dried basil
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- water (optional)
- 2 lbs 900 g
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- salt or pepper
- Chop the vegetables finely. Sauté in butter or olive oil until soft, then add the ground beef. Sauté on high heat until everything has turned a nice color. Add the remaining ingredients, stir and let simmer on medium-high for 15 minutes.
- Lower the heat some more. Add water if the sauce is getting too thick. Let simmer for 20 minutes or more. The longer the sauce is allowed to simmer, the better the flavor.
- In the meantime, make the noodles. Use a spiralizer, mandolin, or peeler to make long, thin strips of zucchini.
- Heat a frying pan and toss them around quickly in butter or olive oil. A minute is enough to keep them from going too soft.
- Taste the sauce and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve the noodles warm with the hot sauce on top. Finish with a good grating of Parmesan cheese.
Make a double batch and freeze in serving sizes to use for other dishes like lasagna and gratins.
Skip tomato paste if you want to limit the carbs more.
Don’t forget to garnish with fresh parsley, for a stunning visual contrast!
Recommended special equipment
Spiralizer or mandolin