Keto “Swedish” meatballs in gravy
While my Swedish friends tell me this isn’t truly a Swedish meatball, everyone agrees that these meatballs in gravy are delicious. And low carb! For a quick variation, you can try making this as a meatloaf and baking longer in a loaf pan.
- 1 lb 450 g ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 lb 450 g ground pork
- 2 2 eggeggs
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp dried minced onion
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup 120 ml ground pork rinds (optional)
- 1½ oz. 45 g Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 oz. (52⁄3 tbsp) 55 g (80 ml) red onion, mincedred onions, minced
- 2 oz. 55 g butter
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups 475 ml beef broth
- ½ cup 120 ml sour cream
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1¾ lbs 800 g cauliflower
- 6 oz. (¾ cup) 170 g (180 ml) cream cheese
- 5 oz. 140 g butter
- salt and ground black pepper
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (185°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all of the ingredients until thoroughly combined. Shape the meat mixture into 24 balls.
- Place meatballs on a baking sheet in a single layer approximately ½” (3-5 cm) apart from each other.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until meatballs are browned and cooked thoroughly.
- Brown the onion in butter in a large skillet.
- Add salt, pepper, and broth. Let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in the sour cream and the cream cheese. Simmer to thicken the gravy to the desired consistency, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the cooked meatballs to the gravy and let simmer on low for an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Serve hot.
- While the gravy is simmering, start preparing the cauliflower. Place a pot of water on the stove and bring it to a boil.
- Chop the cauliflower into florets and add to the boiling water along with a generous pinch of salt.
- Cook for about 8-10 minutes or until soft but not mushy.
- Drain the cauliflower and discard the water.
- Use a fork or a masher to mix the cauliflower, cream cheese, and butter until creamy. For the creamiest texture, use a blender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
If you avoid pork, this recipe can be made using all ground beef or a combination of ground beef and lamb, chicken, or turkey while omitting the pork rinds.
Add some color
Serve with quartered radishes and parsley if desired.
This recipe is available in Kristie's Keto Living Day by Day book.
This recipe, as written, makes 8 servings. However many meatballs you make, divide that number by 8 and that's a serving. You can also adjust this recipe to make fewer servings if you don't need 8.
Thank you for your feedback! I am so glad you enjoyed this one!
Thanks so much for your feedback. We've listened, re-tested this recipe, and improved it. We hope once you try it again yourself, you'll notice the difference — and love it as much as we do.
/The recipe team
P.S. To keep the comments section up-to-date, we've gone ahead and removed any comments regarding the now-resolved issues. Thanks!"
Thanks! Loving these recipes!!
It should freeze well, but you will want to reheat it gently, perhaps thaw it in the refrigerator before reheating.