Cheesy beef burrito skillet
This quick and easy one-pot meal is the perfect addition to your Taco Tuesday routine. Great with low carb cauliflower rice or low carb tortillas.
- 1 lb 450 g ground beef or ground turkey
- 2⁄3 cup 160 ml water
- ¼ cup 60 ml taco seasoning
- ½ cup (2 oz.) 120 ml (55 g) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup 120 ml sour cream
- ¼ cup (1¼ oz.) 60 ml (35 g) olives, sliced
- ¼ cup (1½ oz.) 60 ml (45 g) tomato, dicedtomatoes, diced
- 1 (7 oz.) 1 (200 g) avocado, cubedavocados, cubed
- 1 (½ oz.) 1 (15 g) scallion, sliced, for garnishscallions, sliced, for garnish
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the ground beef to the pan and use a spatula to break up the meat as you cook it. Once the meat is cooked through, drain the excess grease and mix in the water and taco seasoning. Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Mix the cheese with the ground beef and top with sour cream, olives, tomatoes, avocado, scallions, and cilantro.
You can also make this with ground turkey, chicken, or pork.
I just wondered about the "drain the excess grease" part for an LCHF diet? In fact I added a bit of butter for frying and didn't drain anything.
For taco seasoning I used the Tex-mex seasoning, but then checked the quantity against the Dietdoctor tortilla recipe and just added two tablespoons for 450 g meat which was plenty spicy for us. Maybe we just can't take the spice.
Some people don't care for the excess grease that can pool on top, especially when using a higher fat ground beef.