- 2 2 eggeggs
- 2 2 egg whiteegg whites
- 5 oz. 150 g cream cheese
- 1½ tsp 1½ tsp (4 g) ground psyllium husk powder
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp (8 g) coconut flour
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Beat the eggs and egg whites until fluffy. Continue to beat with a hand mixer, preferably for a few minutes. Add cream cheese and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Mix salt, psyllium husk and coconut flour in a small bowl. Add the flour mixture to the batter one spoonful at a time and mix well. Let the batter sit for a few minutes, until it is thick, like pancake batter. How quickly the batter swells depends upon the brand of psyllium husk powder—some trial and error might be needed.
- Bring out two baking sheets and place parchment paper on each. Using a spatula, spread the batter thinly (no more than ¼ inch thick) into 4–6 circles or 2 rectangles.
- Bake on upper rack for about 5 minutes or more, until the tortilla turns a little brown around the edges. Carefully check the bottom side so that it doesn't burn.
- Serve with a filling of your choice. We love them with tex-mex ground beef and salsa! And cheese is always a winner.
If you have plenty of egg whites, you can use egg whites only. For this recipe 5 egg whites would be appropriate.
Tortilla bread also works very well as a thin pizza crust. For a yummy pizza, add unsweetened spaghetti sauce, red tomato pesto or tomato paste, shredded mozzarella cheese, a little oregano and other toppings such as pepperoni, olives, or some fresh veggies. Or check out this recipe.