- ¼ cup 60 ml (30 g) coconut flour
- 1⁄3 cup 75 ml (35 g) oat fiber
- 1⁄3 cup 75 ml (30 g) whey protein isolate
- 1½ tsp 1½ tsp (7 g) baking powder
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp salt
- 4 oz. 110 g butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup 75 ml bacon fat or coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup 60 ml water
- 4 4 eggeggs
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp corn extract (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Place a greased 10-inch (25 cm) cast iron skillet in the oven to heat while you make the cornbread.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the melted butter, bacon fat, eggs, and water. Beat with a hand mixer. Stir in the corn extract.
- Pour the cornbread mixture into the hot cast iron skillet and bake for about 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned and firm to the touch.
The corn extract is optional, but provides a more authentic, corn-like flavor. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, a pie tin or small oven-proof skillet will work.
Whey protein isolate has casein and lactose removed and is not the same as whey protein, which can be highly insulinogenic. Please check the ingredients on whey protein isolate to make sure there are no added sweeteners.
Oat fiber is the pure insoluble fiber from the outer husk of the oat. Because it is not digestible, it does not impact blood glucose.
You can store this bread in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. I you want to freeze it, you can do so for up to 3 months. We recommend slicing it first and placing parchment paper in between for easy access to the right amount.