The keto bread
- 5 tbsp 5 tbsp (40 g) ground psyllium husk powder
- 1¼ cups 300 ml (150 g) almond flour
- 2 tsp 2 tsp (10 g) baking powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup 225 ml water
- 2 tsp 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 3 3 egg whiteegg whites
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp (20 g) sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Bring the water to a boil.
- Add vinegar and egg whites to the dry ingredients, and combine well. Add boiling water, while beating with a hand mixer for about 30 seconds. Don't over mix the dough, the consistency should resemble Play-Doh.
- Moisten hands with a little olive oil and shape dough into 6 separate rolls. Place on a greased baking sheet. Top with optional sesame seeds.
- Bake on lower rack in the oven for 50–60 minutes, depending on the size of your bread rolls. They're done when you hear a hollow sound when tapping the bottom of the bun.
- Serve with butter and toppings of your choice.
Get moreStart free trial
How much carbs does the keto bread contain?
The keto bread contains 2 net carbs per bun (a similar bun of regular bread may contain about 20 grams of carbs). This makes it a decent option on a ketogenic diet. Expand the nutrition tab above for the full nutrition facts.
Can I substitute ingredients?
In all baking, and especially in low-carb baking, the ingredients and amounts used are important. The eggs and ground psyllium husk are hard to replace in this recipe.
If you don't like almond flour or if you have an allergy, you can make this recipe with coconut flour instead. Substitute the amount of almond flour for a third as much of coconut flour and double the number of egg whites.
For a different look and some crunch, sprinkle seeds on the buns before you pop them into the oven – poppy seeds, sesame seeds or why not some salt flakes and herbs?
Flavor your bread with your favorite seasoning to make them perfect for what ever you're serving them with. You can use garlic powder, crushed caraway seeds or your homemade bread seasoning.
Is it gluten free?
Top keto bread recipes
Recipe collectionHere you’ll find the most popular keto low-carb bread recipes, rated by thousands of people. Take a bite of the famous cloud bread, seed crackers and mouth watering classics like BLT sandwich, garlic bread, naan, French toast and biscuits, while staying on a ketogenic diet.