The keto bread
- 1⁄3 cup (1¾ oz.) 80 ml (50 g) ground psyllium husk powder
- 1¼ cups (5 oz.) 300 ml (140 g) almond flour
- 2 tsp 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup 240 ml water
- 2 tsp 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 3 3 egg whiteegg whites
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Bring the water to a boil.
- Add vinegar and egg whites to the dry ingredients and combine well. Add boiling water while beating with a hand mixer for about 30 seconds. Don't over-mix the dough, the consistency should resemble Play-Doh.
- Moisten hands with a little olive oil and shape dough into 6 separate rolls. Place on a greased baking sheet. Top with optional sesame seeds.
- Bake on a lower rack in the oven for 50-60 minutes, depending on the size of your bread rolls. They're done when you hear a hollow sound when tapping the bottom of the bun.
- Serve with toppings of your choice.
Recommended special equipment
Food mixer or an electric hand mixer
How many carbs does the keto bread contain?
The keto bread contains 3 net carbs per bun (a similar bun of regular bread may contain about 20 grams of carbs). This makes it a decent option on a ketogenic diet. Expand the nutrition tab above for the full nutrition facts.
Can I substitute ingredients?
In all baking, and especially in low-carb baking, the ingredients and amounts used are important. The eggs and ground psyllium husk are hard to replace in this recipe.
If you don't like almond flour or if you have an allergy, you can make this recipe with coconut flour instead. Substitute the amount of almond flour for a third as much of coconut flour and double the number of egg whites.
Flavor your bread with your favorite seasoning to make them perfect for whatever you're serving them with. You can use garlic powder, crushed caraway seeds, or homemade bread seasoning.
Why did my keto bread turn purple?
Do your buns end up with a slightly purple color? That can happen with some brands of psyllium husk. Try a different brand.
Is keto bread gluten-free?
The keto bread is 100% gluten-free, just like all of our keto and low carb recipes.
What do you do with the leftover egg yolks?
Béarnaise sauce, of course! Check out our recipe for easy Béarnaise.
Customize your bread!
For a different look and some crunch, sprinkle seeds on the buns before you pop them into the oven – poppy seeds, sesame seeds, or why not some salt flakes and herbs?
This recipe is so versatile and can be used in a number of ways. You can easily turn it into hot dog buns, hamburger buns or garlic bread.
Why has the nutritional information changed?
The nutritional information in this recipe was based on a high-fiber almond flour that we realized was difficult to purchase in some areas of the world. We decided to update it with a more common almond flour that is slightly higher in carbs. That’s why the carb amount in the video does not match the nutritional information in the recipe.
We have also removed the butter from the ingredients list as it was not part of the bread but a topping. This is still a very low carb recipe, and you will most likely eat it with butter or another high fat spread. Therefore, it will still be a keto meal, which is why we've kept the name.