Keto bechamel sauce
- 1¾ cups 425 ml
- 7 oz. (4⁄5 cup) 200 g (210 ml) cream cheese
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Add the heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to a medium-sized, nonstick saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, while stirring continuously.
- Reduce temperature to medium-low, and simmer uncovered for a few minutes, until a desired consistency is reached.
- Prior to serving, season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg, to taste.
Bechamel is a basic sauce used in lasagna, gratins and dozens of classic dishes. The seasoning is super simple: salt, pepper and a pinch of ground nutmeg. Cheese is also often added and practically there are thousands of other flavor combinations, so get creative and feel free to play around. You could start with adding some flavored cream cheese... Here are some inspirational suggestions (based on 4 servings) - just add them to the base recipe and enjoy your own unique bechamel! Chilli sauce - 1 tablespoon chilli powder or paste Citrus sauce - 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice and a little zest for serving Curry sauce - 1 tablespoon curry powder or paste Caper sauce - 2 tablespoons finely chopped capers and maybe a small sardine fillet Onion sauce - ½ cup butter fried onion Cheese sauce - ½ cup grated parmesan or other grated mature cheese, to be added at the end. Crumbled blue cheese and feta are also good. Horseradish sauce - 2 tablespoons grated horseradish, add at the end Mustard sauce - 1 tablespoon sugar-free mustard Tomato sauce - 1 tablespoon tomato paste Tex-Mex sauce - 1 tablespoon unsweetened taco seasoning Garlic sauce - 2 crushed garlic cloves or 2 teaspoons garlic powder Herb sauce - 3 tablespoons chopped parsley, dill, basil, coriander or equivalent amount of dried herbs. Pesto can be a good addition too!