- 1¾ cups 425 ml heavy whipping cream
- 7 oz. 200 g cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Add all ingredients to a nonstick saucepan and bring to a boil while stirring continuously.
- Lower the heat and let simmer for a few minutes, until it reaches desired consistency.
- When it's almost ready, taste and add more salt or spices if necessary.
Bechamel is a basic sauce used in lasagna, gratins and dozens of classic dishes. The seasoning is super simple: salt, pepper and a pinch of ground nutmeg. Cheese is also often added and practically there are thousands of other flavor combinations, so get creative and feel free to play around. You could start with adding some flavored cream cheese…
Here are some inspirational suggestions (based on 4 servings) – just add them to the base recipe and enjoy your own unique bechamel!
Chilli sauce – 1 tablespoon chilli powder or paste
Citrus sauce – 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice and a little zest for serving
Curry sauce – 1 tablespoon curry powder or paste
Caper sauce – 2 tablespoons finely chopped capers and maybe a small sardine fillet
Onion sauce – ½ cup butter fried onion
Cheese sauce – ½ cup grated parmesan or other grated mature cheese, to be added at the end. Crumbled blue cheese and feta are also good.
Horseradish sauce – 2 tablespoons grated horseradish, add at the end
Mustard sauce – 1 tablespoon sugar-free mustard
Tomato sauce – 1 tablespoon tomato paste
Tex-Mex sauce – 1 tablespoon unsweetened taco seasoning
Garlic sauce – 2 crushed garlic cloves or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
Herb sauce – 3 tablespoons chopped parsley, dill, basil, coriander or equivalent amount of dried herbs. Pesto can be a good addition too!