Low-carb chocolate peppermint cheesecake mousse
- 4 oz. (½ cup) 110 g (110 ml) cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup (1¼ oz.) 60 ml (32 g) powdered erythritol, divided
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ cup 60 ml warm water
- ¾ tsp ¾ tsp peppermint extract
- 1⁄3 cup 80 ml
- ½ tsp ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Place the cream cheese, two tablespoons of the sweetener, and the cocoa powder in a blender. Pour the warm water and peppermint extract over top and blend until smooth and creamy.
- In a large bowl, beat the whipping cream with the remaining sweetener and the vanilla extract until it holds stiff peaks. Remove a few tablespoons of the whipped cream for decorating.
- Fold the chocolate mixture into the remaining whipped cream until no streaks remain.
- Spoon the mousse into dessert cups and refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Top with a dollop of the extra whipped cream before serving.
Carolyn's tips and tricks
Chocolate peppermint is such a classic holiday flavour. It’s everywhere you turn these days, showing up at the local coffee shops and in all the holiday catalogs. But buying boxes of sugary chocolate peppermint barks isn’t a healthy choice, as tempting as it might be.
Thankfully there are plenty of low carb ways to enjoy this classic treat, and this cheesecake mousse is one of the best. It’s so simple that you could whip it up quickly even for last minute get togethers or unexpected holiday guests. And no one will even know it’s a keto-friendly dessert.
Using a blender for the cream cheese really helps smooth it out and whip some air into the mixture, making it even lighter and fluffier. But you can use a bowl and some beaters and it will still be delicious. The water should be warm but not hot, as this helps the ingredients really meld together.
Be sure to use a powdered or liquid sweetener for the best results. Granular sweeteners will be too gritty. But powdered (also known as confectioner’s) erythritol, or liquid or powdered stevia would both work. Just be sure to measure more concentrated sweeteners appropriately. You can adjust the sweetener and the peppermint flavor to taste.
Enjoy and happy holidays!