Low-carb lamb roast with broccoli purée
- 3 lbs 1.4 kg lamb roast, at room temperaturelamb roasts, at room temperature
- salt and pepper
- 4½ oz. 130 g cream cheese
- ½ cup 120 ml fresh thyme
- 4 4 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- 1 tsp 1 tsp lemon zest, the zest
- 3½ oz. 100 g butter
- cooking string
- 10 oz. 280 g jerusalem artichokejerusalem artichokes
- 2 lbs 900 g broccoli
- 5 oz. 140 g butter
- 1 tsp 1 tsp kosher or ground sea salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C).
- Place the lamb roast skin down on a big cutting board. Salt and pepper the inside.
- Spread the cream cheese with a bowl scraper. Place the fresh herbs, garlic, and lemon zest on top.
- Roll up the roast and tie together with cooking string. Salt and pepper generously.
- Place the roast in a buttered baking dish. Insert an oven thermometer into the thickest part of the roast. Bake for about 1–1.5 hours, or until the temperature has reached 140°F (60°C). Remove from the oven when the temperature has reached 140°F (60°C).
- Let sit for 10 minutes under aluminum foil and then cut thin slices with a sharp knife. Save the juices for serving.
- While the lamb is roasting, make the purée. Peel the Jerusalem artichokes and dice or slice them into small pieces. Boil the pieces in lightly salted water for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse and chop the broccoli, including the stem, coarsely. When a few minutes of the cooking time for the artichokes remain, add the broccoli to the boiling water and cook for a few minutes more.
- Drain the water from the pot and add the butter, salt, and pepper.
- Mix the purée using an immersion blender and serve with the roast.
You could also add herbs to the purée! Right before blending you could add fresh parsley or dill.
Feel free to mix up the herbs for the lamb roast. Try parsley, rosemary, basil or oregano!