Keto lamb stew with dill sauce and green beans
- 2 lbs 900 g lamb shoulder or chuck roast, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 tsp 1 tsp peppercorn, whitepeppercorns, white
- 2 2 bay leafbay leaves
- 1 1 fresh dill bunch
- 1 1 yellow onion, cut in wedgesyellow onions, cut in wedges
- 1 1 carrot, sliced into circlescarrots, sliced into circles
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp salt
- 1¼ cups 300 ml heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp 1 tsp white vinegar 5% or lemon juice
- ½ cup 125 ml fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1¼ lbs 550 g fresh green beans
- Cut the meat into bite-sized pieces. Place meat in a large saucepan or pot filled with water. Boil vigorously for a few minutes. Pour off water, then rinse meat and pot to avoid having to skim the foam.
- Return meat to the pot. Add spices, dill bunch, onion wedges and carrot slices. Fill with water to cover. Add salt and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 2 hours or until the meat gets very tender.
- Remove meat and strain broth. Set aside the vegetables. To concentrate the flavors, reduce the broth by boiling over high heat for a few minutes.
- Pour cream and the same amount of broth in the pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Add vinegar or lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Add meat to the pot and warm thoroughly. Add finely chopped dill.
- Boil green beans in lightly salted water for 3-4 minutes. Serve with lamb stew.
You won't need all the broth, but you can save the leftovers. If you reduce by half, you get a nice base for soups or sauces.
You can also cook the meat in a slow cooker on low for 7-8 hours. Afterwards, you can continue with Step 3.
If you like a thicker sauce, add a few tablespoons of cream cheese when you're adding the cream.