Keto shepherd’s pie
A traditional savory classic from the English countryside, without the unnecessary carbs. You can't go wrong with our keto version of this cozy casserole. The creamy mashed cauliflower and cheese combo is irresistible... and you know it!
- 1½ lbs 650 g cauliflower, cut into smaller florets
- ½ cup 120 ml sour cream
- 1 1 eggeggs
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter, melted
- ½ (1½ oz.) ½ (45 g) leek, finely choppedleeks, finely chopped
- 1 cup (4 oz.) 240 ml (110 g) cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and ground black pepper
- 2 lbs 900 g ground lamb or ground pork
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp butter, for frying
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp tabasco
- 1 tsp 1 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 5 oz. (2½ cups) 140 g (600 ml) leafy greens (optional)
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cook the cauliflower florets in lightly salted water until soft. You can also use frozen cauliflower. Drain thoroughly. Mash the cauliflower with a hand mixer or food processor.
- Mix in crème fraîche or sour cream, egg, butter, leek and half of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fry the ground meat in butter. Add the sauces and the spices.
- Spread the meat out in an oven-proof dish and cover with the cauliflower mash. Top with the rest of the cheese and maybe some extra butter.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until it gets a nice golden color.
- Serve with leafy greens.
Feel free to make a bigger batch at once. You can divide them into smaller portions, freeze and just grab a portion when you don't have enough time to cook or you want to have a ready-made delicious lunchbox for work.
I made more of a souffle with the cauliflower, 3 eggs, three egg whites, subbed my part cream homemade greek yogurt for the sour cream (it's more like lebneh), 8 ounces cheddar and about a cup of Trader Joe's parm cheese. Added two tablespoons of coconut flour and 1/2 teaspoon of xanthum.
Baked for 40 minutes at 400F.
Probably a bit higher carb with the shallot and tomato, but higher protein from the extra eggs and cheese. I bodybuild, so my macros are much higher protein than normal keto.
Delicious, will increase the coconut flour to four tablespoons and the xanthum to 3/4 tsp.
Made this tonight for dinner, left out the tabasco sauce cause don't like anything hot. It was absolutely delicious
Differently a keeper. Thanks for the recipe!
Thank you for this recipe. I now have another to add to my Keto meal list.
Those carb counts are included in the 10g net carbs for the whole dish. There are recipes available online if you wish to make your own worcestershire sauce.
I think the only thing I will do differently next time is to add half of an onion to the pork when browning it, it would add a nice touch.
Yes, that would be fine.
This meal has a higher carb count than my usual (I like to stay under 10 per sitting so I can use my carbs through the day), but it turned out so well that I will literally plan the rest of my day around making sure I get a serving for dinner.
I bet the addition of the cream cheese made it absolutely lush!
Thank you for your feedback Maureen!
The casserole is layered in Step 5. You will layer the meat mixture in a casserole dish, then top with the cauliflower mixture. Finally, top with cheese and extra butter if you need it. I hope this helps!
Thank you for taking the time to let us know! So glad you enjoyed this recipe.
I also like to use ground beef. So glad you enjoyed it!
But most importantly more liquid is needed with the meat to provide a gravy. Maybe try adding some water to the meat at near end of cooking. Maybe stir in a little cornflour or arrrowroot (?) or whatever
And don't over fry the meat until it becomes dark - very dry and tough if using ground beef
Thank you for those tips!
Thank you for your feedback!
Yes, this is 10g net carbs per serving. All of our recipes and meal plans list the nutrition information per serving.
My fussy husband loved it!
Great! So glad you enjoyed it!