Keto shish kebab with garlic cream and roasted vegetables
- 1¼ lbs 550 g ground lamb, or any other ground meat
- 2 2 eggeggs
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp ground coriander seed
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp garlic powder or pressed garlic
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp sumac (optional)
- 2 2 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 2 egg whiteegg whites
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup 225 ml light olive oil
- ½ tsp ½ tsp sumac (optional)
- 2 2 , or sivri peppers, or sivri peppers
- 2 2 tomatotomatoes
- 1 1
Shish kebab and vegetables
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Combine all the ingredients for the shish kebab.
- Using a wet spatula, spread the spiced meat into a rectangle in a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Make score marks using a spatula so that the rectangle is divided into strips but left as one piece.
- Cut the pepper and onion into wedges, divide the tomatoes into halves. Place the vegetables around the meat in the baking tray. Sprinkle with olive oil, and season with sumac, salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Garlic cream (toum)
- Add crushed garlic, lemon juice, salt and egg whites to a deep mixing bowl or beaker.
- Use an immersion blender to mix thoroughly until white and fluffy. It takes about 1 minute.
- Pour in the oil in a thin stream while mixing continuously. The garlic cream is ready when it's thick, white and fluffy. Top with some sumac or chili powder.
If you're in the middle of the barbecue season, shape the kebabs into 'sausages' around a skewer and grill them with the veggies, also on skewers. They will taste heavenly!
In the unlikely event that there is leftover garlic cream, you can store it in the refrigerator for at least 4 days. It's the perfect companion to any grilled dish and a great dairy-free alternative to garlic butter.
The sauce can be made without eggs. The egg white makes it fluffier, but if you don't tolerate eggs or you're vegan, it can be a fantastic alternative to aioli.