Savory pulled pork—always tender. Roasted tomatoes—always flavorful. Avocado hummus—always creamy. Put all three on a plate, and you have keto satisfaction, guaranteed.
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon cocoa nibs or cocoa powder
- ½ tablespoon ½ tablespoon ground black pepper
- ½ tablespoon ½ tablespoon ground ginger
- ½ tablespoon ½ tablespoon paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon ½ teaspoon anise seeds or fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs 900 g pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon salt
Roasted tomato salad
- 11⁄3 lbs 600 g cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 2 scallionscallions
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 3 ripe avocadoripe avocados
- ½ ½ lemon, the juice
- ½ cup 125 ml fresh cilantro
- 4 tablespoons 60 ml olive oil
- 4 tablespoons 60 ml sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 1 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- Grind the spices and cacao nibs using a pestle and mortar or grinder. Mix with olive oil and rub all over the pork shoulder.
- Place the meat in a slow cooker and cook for 6 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Remove from the slow cooker and use two forks to shred the meat into small pieces. Serve with roasted tomato salad and avocado hummus.
Roasted tomato salad
- Brush olive oil onto the cherry tomatoes and add spices.
- Cook the tomatoes on a grill if you have an accessory like a vegetable wok to accommodate delicate veggies. Otherwise, roast in a hot oven until the tomatoes begin to turn color and soften—around 15 minutes in a 440°F (225°C) oven.
- Turn off the oven but leave the tomatoes in the oven so they continue to roast. They should become a little blackened, which gives extra flavor.
- Remove from oven and arrange on a plate. Top with chopped scallions. Sprinkle vinegar and a little bit more olive oil on the roasted tomatoes to finish.
- Split the avocados in half and remove the pits and skin.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender or a food processor and mix until you get a smooth consistency.
- Add more olive oil, lemon juice, or water if the hummus is too thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Taking a break from a hot oven? Go ahead and cook the cherry tomatoes on your stovetop. Just pan-fry in olive oil over medium-high heat.