Keto pulled pork with roasted tomato salad
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp cocoa nibs or cocoa powder
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp ground black pepper
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp ground ginger
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp ½ tsp anise seeds or fennel seeds
- ½ tsp ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs 900 g pork shoulder
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp salt
- 1¼ lbs 550 g cherry tomatoes
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 (1 oz.) 2 (30 g)
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Grind the spices and cacao nibs using a pestle and mortar or grinder. Mix with olive oil and rub all over the pork shoulder.
- Place the meat in a slow cooker and cook for 6 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Remove from the slow cooker and use two forks to shred the meat into small pieces. Serve with roasted tomato salad and avocado hummus.
Roasted tomato salad
- Brush olive oil onto the cherry tomatoes and add spices.
- Cook the tomatoes on a grill if you have an accessory like a vegetable wok to accommodate delicate veggies. Otherwise, roast in a hot oven until the tomatoes begin to turn color and soften—around 15 minutes in a 440°F (225°C) oven.
- Turn off the oven but leave the tomatoes in the oven so they continue to roast. They should become a little blackened, which gives extra flavor.
- Remove from oven and arrange on a plate. Top with chopped scallions. Sprinkle vinegar and a little bit more olive oil on the roasted tomatoes to finish.
- Split the avocados in half and remove the pits and skin.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender or a food processor and mix until you get a smooth consistency.
- Add more olive oil, lemon juice, or water if the hummus is too thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recommended special equipment
- Blender or food processor
Taking a break from a hot oven? Go ahead and cook the cherry tomatoes on your stovetop. Just pan-fry in olive oil over medium-high heat.