Keto pulled pork with roasted tomato salad
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp cocoa nibs or cocoa powder
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp ground black pepper
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp ground ginger
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp ½ tsp anise seeds or fennel seeds
- ½ tsp ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs 900 g pork shoulder
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp salt
- 1¼ lbs 550 g cherry tomatoes
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 (1 oz.) 2 (30 g) scallionscallions
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Grind the spices and cacao nibs using a pestle and mortar or grinder. Mix with olive oil and rub all over the pork shoulder.
- Place the meat in a slow cooker and cook for 6 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high, until the meat can be easily shredded with a fork.
- Remove from the slow cooker and use two forks to shred the meat into small pieces. Serve with roasted tomato salad and avocado hummus.
Roasted tomato salad
- Brush olive oil onto the cherry tomatoes and add spices.
- Cook the tomatoes on a grill if you have an accessory like a vegetable wok to accommodate delicate veggies. Otherwise, roast in a hot oven until the tomatoes begin to turn color and soften—around 15 minutes in a 440°F (225°C) oven.
- Turn off the oven but leave the tomatoes in the oven so they continue to roast. They should become a little blackened, which gives extra flavor.
- Remove from oven and arrange on a plate. Top with chopped scallions. Sprinkle vinegar and a little bit more olive oil on the roasted tomatoes to finish.
- Split the avocados in half and remove the pits and skin.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender or a food processor and mix until you get a smooth consistency.
- Add more olive oil, lemon juice, or water if the hummus is too thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Taking a break from a hot oven? Go ahead and cook the cherry tomatoes on your stovetop. Just pan-fry in olive oil over medium-high heat.
You can save time by cooking the pork in your Instant Pot. After seasoning the meat, cut it into large chunks and place it in the Instant Pot with 1/4 cup of water or broth. Cook on high for 40-50 minutes or according to your Instant Pot instructions.
Recommended special equipment
Blender or food processor.
3lb meat cut in 2in chunks
Browned on both sides
Cooked 50 min with 30 min natural release.
In the title of recipe - 1.5 hours.
In the instruction "cook for 6 hours on low or 4 hours on high"
Why does exist such divergence ?