Garlic and herb cauliflower mac and cheese with bacon
- 2½ lbs 1.1 kg cauliflower, trimmed and cut into small florets
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tsp 2 tsp fresh chives, chopped
- 1½ tsp 1½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp butter
- 2 2 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup 240 ml
- 1 cup (4 oz.) 240 ml (110 g) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup 240 ml finely grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 oz.) 240 ml (110 g) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup (22⁄3 oz.) 80 ml (75 g) cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz. 110 g bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Line the cauliflower in a single layer across a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil over top and season generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with chives and Italian seasoning. Roast for 20 minutes or until tender and golden brown.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, in a large sauce pan, heat the butter and garlic over medium heat. Cook until the butter starts to brown slightly and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the heavy cream, half of the mozzarella cheese, half of the Parmesan cheese, the cheddar cheese and the cream cheese. Stir to melt and mix in the cheeses and then reduce the heat to low.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a large casserole dish. Layer half of the crumbled bacon over top and then pour the cheese sauce over top. Use a rubber spatula to mix the layers together just slightly.
- Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella, parmesan, and bacon over top.
- Transfer the casserole dish to the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
When I first started living a low carb, keto lifestyle, I knew immediately that if I was going to find any success with my new way of eating, I would need to find a way to recreate all my old favorites. Cauliflower mac and cheese was one of the very first low carb recipes I ever created and since then, I have made countless variations.
Before serving, sprinkle fresh chives for another layer of great flavor!
Recommended special equipment
Large casserole dish.
Baking sheet or tray.