Low-carb Vietnamese pho
- 4 lbs 1.8 kg beef bone (marrow and joints such as beef knuckles cut in half by butcher, oxtail, short ribs)beef bones (marrow and joints such as beef knuckles cut in half by butcher, oxtail, short ribs) and pig's feet
- 2 (8 oz.) 2 (220 g) , quartered, quartered
- 2 oz. (92⁄3 tbsp) 55 g (140 ml) fresh ginger
- 3 3 cinnamon stickcinnamon sticks
- 4 4 whole star anise
- 5 5 whole cloves
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp salt
- ¼ cup 60 ml fish sauce
- 8 cups 1.9 liters water
- 1 (½ oz.) 1 (15 g) , finely chopped, finely chopped
- 1 cup 240 ml finely slivered
- ½ cup 120 ml bean sprouts
- 1 1 limelimes
- 1 lb 450 g beef, tenderloin filet
- 3 oz. 85 g coconut aminos
- Broil the onion and ginger until charred, about 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Peel the ginger and rinse to remove the charred skin.
- Place the cinnamon, star anise, and cloves in a dry stockpot. Heat on medium-low until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the bones, pig's feet, onion, ginger, salt, fish sauce, and water. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for at least 2 to 3 hours.
- While the broth is simmering, prepare the ingredients for the pho. Slice the cabbage into thin slivers to resemble rice noodles and divide among four serving bowls.
- Slice the beef into thin slices no more than ¼" (0.5cm) thick and less than 2" (5 cm) long and set.
- Divide the sliced beef evenly among the serving bowls by placing the beef in a single layer on top of the cabbage.
- Thinly slice the scallions and place them in a serving dish.
- Place the bean sprouts in a second serving dish.
- Cut the lime into wedges and set on a serving dish with the scallions and bean sprouts alongside the coconut aminos.
- Strain the broth, discarding all of the solids. Return the strained broth to a rolling boil. Ladle the boiling broth over the bowls that have been prepared with cabbage and beef.
- Top with scallions, bean sprouts, coconut aminos, lime, and additional fish sauce as desired.