Keto meat pie
- ½ (2 oz.) ½ (55 g) , finely chopped, finely chopped
- 1 1 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1½ lbs 650 g ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp dried oregano or dried basil
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp
- ½ cup 120 ml water
- ¾ cup (3 oz.) 180 ml (85 g) almond flour
- ¼ cup (1¼ oz.) 60 ml (35 g) sesame seeds
- ¼ cup (¾ oz.) 60 ml (25 g)
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp ground psyllium husk powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1 large egglarge eggs
- ¼ cup 60 ml water
- 1 cup (7½ oz.) 240 ml (210 g) cottage cheese
- 1 cup (4 oz.) 240 ml (110 g) cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Heat the butter or olive oil in a large frying pan, over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes until tender. Add the garlic, ground beef, oregano or basil, salt, and pepper. Use a spatula to break the meat into smaller pieces, while mixing together. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Add the tomato paste, water, and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, prepare the pie crust.
- Mix the crust ingredients together using a food processor, or with a fork.
- Place a round piece of parchment paper in a well-greased, 9-10" (23-25 cm) springform pan, or deep-dish pie pan. Using a spatula or well-greased fingers, evenly press the dough onto the base and the sides of the pan. Prick the base and sides of the crust with a fork, to prevent bubbling.
- Pre-bake the crust for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and place the meat mixture in the crust.
- In a small bowl, combine the cottage cheese and shredded cheese. Spread on top of the pie.
- Bake on the lower rack for 30-40 minutes, or until golden in color.
The nutritional information in this recipe was based on a high-fiber coconut and almond flour that we realized was difficult to purchase in some areas of the world. We decided to update it with more common brands that are slightly higher in carbs. That’s why the carb amount in the video does not match the nutritional information in the recipe.
Recommended special equipment
- Food processor
How to vary this recipe
This keto minced meat pie has an easily worked dairy-free pie crust. Here, we have filled it with meat and cheese, but you can use any filling you like. This dish is so versatile, the only limit is your imagination!
If you want a completely dairy-free meal we suggest checking out this keto vegetable pie. Another vegetarian alternative is our very popular keto avocado pie. You can also substitute the meat filling for chicken or salmon.
You can also vary the flavoring of this keto pie. Instead of the dried herbs you can add a couple of tablespoons of Tex-Mex seasoning. Serve it with some leafy greens and avocado, and you'll have the perfect meal for Taco Tuesday.
Feel free to serve this meat pie with a fresh green salad and dressing.
Serve lukewarm for peak flavor.
How to store the keto meat pie
Savory pies are perfect for meal prep. Enjoy as much as you want for dinner and then divide any leftovers into portion-sized pieces.
They keep in the fridge for up to 4 days and in the freezer for 2-3 months.
This pie tastes good cold but even better if it's gently reheated in a microwave or in the oven on a low temperature.
Nut flours are heat sensitive and should never be baked on high temperatures or they get burnt. If the crust is cooking too fast and is at risk of burning you can prevent that by wrapping aluminium foil on the edge of the crust. This will allow the center to cook and get golden brown, while you keep the edges from burning.
This recipe yields a dough that makes a thin crust. If you have a bigger pie dish or want a thicker crust you can make 1.5 times the recipe for the crust.
For more information about low-carb and keto baking we recommend our low-carb baking guide.