Keto meat pie
- ½ ½ yellow onion, finely choppedyellow onions, finely chopped
- 1 1 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 20 oz. 600 g ground beef or ground lamb
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp dried oregano or dried basil
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp tomato paste or ajvar relish
- ½ cup 125 ml water
- 8 oz. 225 g cottage cheese
- 7 oz. 200 g shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Fry onion and garlic in butter or olive oil over medium heat for a few minutes, until the onion is soft. Add the ground beef and keep frying. Add oregano or basil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tomato paste, pesto or ajvar relish – use what you have on hand. Add water. Lower the heat and let simmer for at least 20 minutes. While the meat simmers, make the dough for the crust.
- Mix all the dough ingredients in a food processor for a few minutes until the dough turns into a ball. If you don't have a food processor, you can mix by hand with a fork.
- Place a round piece of parchment paper in a well-greased springform pan—about 10 inches in diameter—to make it easier to remove the pie when it's done. (You can also use a deep-dish pie pan.) Spread the dough in the pan and up along the sides. Use a spatula or well-greased fingers.
- Pre-bake the crust for 10-15 minutes. Take it out of the oven and place the meat in the crust. Mix cottage cheese and shredded cheese together, and layer on top of the pie.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes on lower rack or until the pie has turned a golden color.
- Serve with a fresh green salad and dressing.
This is an easily worked dairy-free pie crust. Here, we have filled it with meat and a cover of cottage cheese and cheese, but you can use any filling you like! Any left-overs can be sliced and placed in the freezer for easy weekday lunches.
Products used in low-carb baking behave differently from flours made from wheat and grains. For more information, check out our low-carb baking guide.