Keto and dairy-free vegetable pie
- 51⁄3 oz. 150 g zucchini
- 3 oz. 75 g carrotcarrots
- 8 8 eggeggs
- 1¼ cups 300 ml mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp 1 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 7 oz. 200 g lettuce
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Mix the sunflower and sesame seeds into a coarse flour in a food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients for the dough and mix until evenly combined. Take the dough out, form it to a ball and flatten it.
- Cover in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 30 minutes or more. Feel free to make the dough ahead of time and freeze it.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Divide the dough evenly into as many pieces as you want servings.
- Roll out each piece between two baking sheets or press out directly with oiled fingers into serving-sized baking dishes that are about 5-6 inches (13-15 cm) across. Pre-bake the crust for 5-7 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Next, prepare the filling. Mix eggs, mayonnaise and spices well. Peel carrots and slice thinly, lengthwise. Rinse the zucchini (do not peel) and slice thinly, lengthwise.
- Roll the slices like flowers and arrange in the pre-baked pie shells. Pour the egg mix over and bake at 350°F (175°C) for about 20-25 minutes, until set and golden brown.
- Mix oil, salt, pepper and vinegar into a vinaigrette. Drizzle it over the salad and serve with the pie.
Want one big, beautiful pie? Just increase the time in the oven. The longer baking time may require that you protect the edges of the pie by folding a strip of aluminum foil over them to deflect some of the heat.
If you can tolerate dairy, try this recipe with full-fat crème fraiche or sour cream instead of mayo. Or try half mayo, half crème fraiche.