Keto and dairy-free vegetable pie
- ¾ cup (32⁄3 oz.) 180 ml (110 g) sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- ¾ cup (2½ oz.) 180 ml (75 g)
- 4 4 eggeggs
- 5 oz. 140 g melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp ground psyllium husk powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 8 8 eggeggs
- 1¼ cups 300 ml mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp 1 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 4 oz. 110 g
- 2 oz. (7 tbsp) 55 g (100 ml) carrotcarrots
- 7 oz. (5½ cups) 200 g (1.3 liters) lettuce
- ¼ cup 60 ml olive oil
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Mix the sunflower and sesame seeds into coarse flour in a food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until evenly combined. Remove the dough, form it into a disc shape.
- Cover in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Feel free to make the dough ahead of time and freeze it.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Divide the dough evenly into as many pieces as you want servings.
- Roll out each piece between two sheets of parchment paper or press into serving-sized baking dishes that are about 5-6" (12-15 cm) in diameter using lightly oiled fingers. Pre-bake the crust for 8–10 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Next, prepare the filling. Combine eggs, mayonnaise, and spices. Peel carrots and slice thinly, lengthwise. Rinse the zucchini (do not peel) and slice thinly, lengthwise.
- Roll the slices of veggies into flower-like shapes and arrange them in the pre-baked pie shells. Pour the egg mix over and bake at 350°F (175°C) for about 25-30 minutes, until set and golden brown.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Drizzle it over the salad and serve with the pie.
Want one big, beautiful pie? Just increase the time in the oven. The longer baking time may require that you protect the edges of the pie by folding a strip of aluminum foil over them to deflect some of the heat. If you can tolerate dairy, try this recipe with full-fat crème fraiche or sour cream instead of mayo. Or try half mayo, half crème fraiche.
Recommended special equipment
- Blender or food processor
- Rolling pin