Carnitas are great for feeding a crowd. Roast or smoke the pork or cook it in a crock-pot for busy days. Just be sure to follow the final step of browning the meat in some of the roasting juices. The browned bits are where the magic happens.
- 5 lbs 2.3 kg pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup 75 ml pickled jalapeños or fresh
- 1 1 orange, juice and zestoranges, juice and zest
- 1 1 lime, the juicelimes, the juice
- 1 1 lemon, the juice
- 5 5 avocadoavocados
- 4 4 tomatotomatoes
- 1 cup 225 ml shredded cheese
- 1 cup 225 ml sour cream
- ½ cup 125 ml pickled jalapeños or fresh
- ½ cup 125 ml fresh cilantro
- Mix the dry spices and rub them on the meat. Place the meat fatty side up into a crock-pot or oven safe skillet and add the remaining seasonings.
- Sprinkle jalapenos over the pork shoulder. Add fresh orange juice, lime juice and lemon juice. Cook on low in the crock-pot for 10 to 12 hours or overnight.
- When the meat is tender, remove it from the crock-pot and shred it into smaller pieces. Reserve the drippings and reduce it to half in a pot.
- Sauté the onion and bell peppers in fat. Add the reduced pan drippings. Fry the pork in a heavy skillet until the pieces are browned and crispy. Getting the meat crisped up is really important in making it so delicious.
- Serve with avocado, tomato, jalapeño, shredded cheese, sour cream. Don’t forget the fresh cilantro!