- 5 lbs 2.3 kg pork shoulder
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 1 oz. 28 g fresh or pickled jalapeños
- 1 1 orange, zest and juiceoranges, zest and juice
- 1 1 lime, the juicelimes, the juice
- 1 1 lemon, the juicelemons, the juice
- 2 oz. 55 g coconut oil (optional)
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) , sliced, sliced (optional)
- 2 (10 oz.) 2 (280 g) , sliced, sliced (optional)
- Mix the dry spices and rub them on the meat. Place the meat fatty side up into a slow cooker, and add the remaining seasonings.
- Sprinkle jalapeños over the pork shoulder. Pour fresh orange zest and juice, lime juice and lemon juice, over the pork. Cook on low in the slow cooker for 10-12 hours or overnight.
- When the meat is tender, remove it from the slow cooker and chop into smaller chunks. Reserve the drippings and add to a pot. Over medium high heat, reduce drippings in half.
- Optional step: Warm the coconut oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Sauté the onions and peppers until tender, and set aside in a bowl.
- Add some of the reduced drippings to the pan. Once drippings are hot, add pork, and fry until the pieces are browned and crispy. Continue this process until all pork is fried. Getting the meat crisped up is really important in making it so delicious!
- Serve with avocado, tomato, jalapeño, shredded cheese, sour cream. Don’t forget the fresh cilantro!
Dice up some limes and squeeze lime juice over each serving!
Recommended special equipment