Keto Italian breakfast casserole
Breakfast made easy. Cook up this keto casserole on Sunday and you’re all set for breakfast for the coming week. Easy, protein packed, and durable enough to eat on-the-go. Did we mention sausage (and cauliflower)?
- 7 oz. 200 g cauliflower, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 oz. 28 g butter
- 12 oz. 350 g fresh Italian sausage
- 8 8 eggeggs
- 1 cup 240 ml heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (4 oz.) 240 ml (110 g) shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup (1⁄3 oz.) 60 ml (11 g) fresh basil, chopped
- salt and pepper
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (175°C). Grease an 8 x 8" (20 x 20 cm) baking dish.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower and cook until it begins to soften. Set aside in a bowl.
- Add sausage to the pan and use a spoon or spatula to break up into crumbles. Fry the sausage until thoroughly cooked. Season with salt and pepper. Move the sausage and the cauliflower to the baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, cheddar cheese until combined, and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and sprinkle the basil on top. Bake for 30–40 minutes, or until golden brown, and completely set in the middle. If the casserole is at risk of getting burned before it’s cooked through, cover with aluminum foil.
Italian sausage is ground/minced pork with Italian herbs and spices. Here is a recipe you may find helpful.
For individual servings, divide the finished dish by the number of servings you set the recipe. You can do this by estimating the final product or by portioning it out.
Hi, Grace! Yes, you can simply omit the sausage or swap for another meat of your choice.
You would just need to keep an eye on how the carb counts compare to the same amount of heavy whipping cream that's used in the recipe.