Keto Italian breakfast casserole
- 7 oz. 200 g cauliflower
- 2 oz. 50 g butter
- 12 oz. 350 g fresh italian sausage
- 8 8 eggeggs
- 1 cup 225 ml
- 5 oz. 150 g cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup 60 ml fresh basil, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (175°C). Grease an 8x8-inch (20 x 20 cm) baking dish.
- Rinse and trim the cauliflower and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat. Add the cauliflower and cook until it begins to soften. Set aside in a bowl.
- Add sausage to the pan and use a spoon or spatula to break up into crumbles. Fry the sausage until thoroughly cooked. Season with salt and pepper. Move the sausage and the cauliflower to baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, cheddar cheese until combined, and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and sprinkle the basil on top. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown, and completely set in the middle. If the casserole is at risk of getting burned before it’s cooked through, cover with aluminum foil.
Try this dish with hot or mild Italian sausage. Or, mix it up with some of both! If your sausage comes in links, just cut away the casing and sauté the loose ground meat as described in the recipe.
For more zing, sprinkle some fresh herbs on top. Thyme and oregano do wonders!
To prepare for the week, wrap sliced casserole pieces in plastic wrap, place in a freezer bag and store in the freezer.
Reheat in the oven for a few minutes or in the microwave for about a minute and breakfast is ready!