Keto BLT with cloud bread
- 3 3 eggeggs
- 4¼ oz. 125 g cream cheese
- 1 pinch 1 pinch salt
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp (4 g) ground psyllium husk powder
- ½ tsp ½ tsp (2.5 g) baking powder
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp cream of tartar (optional)
- ½ cup 125 ml mayonnaise
- 5 oz. 150 g bacon
- 2 oz. 50 g lettuce
- 1 1 tomato, thinly slicedtomatoes, thinly sliced
- fresh basil (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- Separate the eggs, with egg whites in one bowl and egg yolks in another. Note, egg whites whip better in a metal or ceramic bowl as opposed to plastic.
- Whip egg whites together with salt (and cream of tartar, if you are using any) until very stiff, preferably using a hand held electric mixer. You should be able to turn the bowl over without the egg whites moving.
- Add cream cheese to the egg yolks and mix well. To make the oopsie more bread-like, add in the optional psyllium seed husk and baking powder.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture — try to keep the air in the egg whites.
- Place 8, flattened dough rounds on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 25 minutes, until they turn golden.
Building the BLT
- Fry the bacon in a skillet on medium high heat until crispy.
- Place the cloud bread pieces top-side down.
- Spread 1–2 tablespoon of mayonnaise on each.
- Place lettuce, tomato, some finely chopped fresh basil and fried bacon in layers between the bread halves.
- Serve immediately.
Get moreStart free trial
Feel free to make large batches of Cloud bread ahead of time so you can make this delicious sandwich in no time. You can also prepare bacon in large batches and keep ready made in an air-tight container in your fridge for up to a week (as if bacon ever lasted that long, huh?). Perfect for a snack or to use as a salad topping, to add to your morning eggs or to a sandwich like this one.
With just 11 grams of protein (9%), this dish is a bit low on protein for a meal. Feel free to serve it with cheese on the side, a hard boiled egg, or even eat two BLTs! Or, for your next meal, you might want to consider having a higher amount of protein.
Short term, a lower protein meal is not a problem, but over the long term, eating too little protein can increase your feelings of hunger and reduce satiety, leading to cravings or the urge to snack. Over the very long-term, too little protein consumption can lead to unwanted muscle and bone loss.
How to store cloud bread
The bread keeps in the fridge for 2-3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Put a layer of parchment paper between each bread so they don't stick together. That way you can easily grab as many as you need.
You can thaw frozen cloud bread at room temperature or in the fridge. They taste their very best if you toast them once thawed but you can also reheat them in the oven. Preheat to 300°F (150°C) and place them on the rack for about five minutes.
Some of the best slicing heirloom tomatoes are Beefsteak, Brandywine, Mortgage Lifter, Cherokee Purple, and Black Krim. Watch for these at your local farmers' market for a BLT upgrade!
How about mayo?
We think homemade mayo beats store bought versions any day but sometimes you just don't have the time, energy or ingredients to make it yourself. The ones you buy in the supermarkets can vary in quality. Read the labels and try to steer clear of brands using sugar and soybean oil.