Bacon with creamy leeks au gratin
- 20 oz. 600 g leekleeks
- 2 oz. 50 g butter
- 1 cup 225 ml heavy whipping cream
- 3 oz. 75 g shredded cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch 1 pinch ground nutmeg (optional)
- 10 oz. 300 g sliced bacon
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Trim and rinse leeks thoroughly. Cut into 4-inch strips.
- Fry leeks in butter until golden brown.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C), preferably using the broiler function. Place leeks in an oven-safe baking dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the heavy cream to a boil in a sauce pan. Lower the heat and add the cheese. Stir until melted and combined.
- Taste the cream and cheese mix to see if it needs additional salt and pepper. You can also add ground nutmeg and/or chopped chives.
- Pour the mixture on top of the leeks and place in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Meanwhile, fry the bacon. Serve immediately.
Want to play around? This recipe is extremely versatile. Try swapping out the leeks for green beans, Brussels sprouts or broccoli. If you don’t eat pork, smoked salmon, fried eggs, beef or lamb cold cuts all make great substitutions. Different cheeses can also add a whole new level of variety! Sharp cheddar, smoked gruyere, and tangy gorgonzola all work wonderfully in this cream sauce.