Keto Asian beef salad
Gingery and savory with a slightly spicy kick. Hearty red meat with creamy sesame goodness. All that, keto, and a refreshing salad to boot?? Do you see where we’re going with this? Meet your newest favorite food in a bowl!
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp 1 tsp chili flakes
- 2⁄3 lb 300 g ribeye steakribeye steaks
- 1 1 egg yolk, at room temperatureegg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 tsp 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ cup 125 ml avocado oil or light olive oil
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper
- 2 2 scallionscallions
- 3 oz. 75 g cherry tomatoes
- 2 oz. 50 g cucumber
- 3 oz. 75 g lettuce
- ½ ½ red onionred onions
- fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Make the sesame mayonnaise by mixing egg yolk and mustard in a bowl.
- Add avocado oil in a very slow stream while whisking continuously. You can do this by hand or using a hand mixer or immersion blender. Add sesame oil, lime juice and spices towards the end, once the mayonnaise has emulsified. Reserve.
- Mix all ingredients for the beef marinade and pour into a plastic bag. Add the beef and marinate for 15 minutes or more at room temperature.
- Chop all vegetables for the salad, except the scallions, into bite-sized pieces. Divide between two plates.
- Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add sesame seeds to the dry pan, and toast them for a couple of minutes, or until they’re lightly browned and fragrant. Set aside.
- Pat the meat dry on both sides with paper towels. Fry for a minute or two on each side on high heat, or until cooked to medium. (In this dish, the beef is best served at medium, but you can make it well done if you prefer.)
- Fry the scallions for a minute in the same pan.
- Slice the meat, across the grain, into thin slices. Place beef and scallions on top of the vegetables. Serve with roasted sesame seeds and sesame mayonnaise.
In a hurry? If you don’t feel like making mayo from scratch, just add some sesame oil and lime juice to store-bought mayonnaise. Craving a bit of variety? Try swapping in salmon or pre-cooked chicken instead of the beef.