Low-carb Hungarian Goulash soup
- 8 oz. (1½ cups) 230 g (350 ml) , finely chopped, finely chopped
- 4 4 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- 8 oz. 230 g or , finely chopped
- 1 (5 oz.) 1 (140 g) , finely chopped, finely chopped
- 1 lb 450 g ground lamb or ground beef or ground turkey
- 4 oz. 110 g butter or olive oil
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp crushed caraway seeds
- 2 tsp 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups (1 lb) 475 ml (475 g) crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups 700 ml water
- 2 tsp 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup 240 ml or mayonnaise
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- Sauté the onion and garlic, with a generous amount of oil or butter, in a heavy pan over medium heat, until softened.
- Add the ground meat and sauté, stirring occasionally, until cooked through and browned.
- Add the bell pepper, celery root, paprika, cayenne, oregano, caraway, salt, and pepper. Stir for about 1 minute. Pour in the tomatoes and 2/3 cups of the water.
- Increase the heat and bring the soup to a light boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining water and vinegar before serving.
- Serve with finely chopped parsley and a dollop of sour cream or mayonnaise.