Low carb Indian lamb stew
- 2 lbs 900 g lamb shoulder, cut into inch-sized (2.5 cm) pieces
- 3 (12 oz.) 3 (325 g) yellow onion, sliced or finely choppedyellow onions, sliced or finely chopped
- 1 (2¼ oz.) 1 (60 g) finely chopped carrotfinely chopped carrots or parsnipparsnips
- 2 (2¾ oz.) 2 (80 g) celery stalkcelery stalks
- 1 1 red chili pepper, finely choppedred chili peppers, finely chopped
- 2 2 garlic clove, finely choppedgarlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp 2 tsp kosher or ground sea salt
- 1 1 cinnamon stickcinnamon sticks
- 2 oz. 55 g butter or coconut oil
- 14 oz. (12⁄3 cups) 400 g (400 ml) crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup 60 ml water
- 1 1 lamb bone, for marrowlamb bones, for marrow
- 2 2 bok choy, split into halves
- 2 (8 oz.) 2 (240 g) red bell pepper, slicedred bell peppers, sliced
- ½ (1½ oz.) ½ (45 g) leek, slicedleeks, sliced
- 1 cup (½ oz.) 240 ml (16 g) fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- ½ cup 120 ml sour cream
- Prep the meat and vegetables. If using a clay pot, soak it in water for half an hour prior to using it.
- Add all of the ingredients for the stew to the soaked clay pot or your slow cooker. Place the marrow bone in the middle.
- Place in a cold oven set to 350°F (175°C). Let cook for at least 2, preferably 3 hours. If using a slow cooker, set the timer for 8 hours on low or 6 hours on high.
- Keep track towards the end and carefully lift the lid 15 minutes before serving (30 minutes if using a slow-cooker) and add the bok choy, bell pepper, and leek. At the same time, remove the marrow bone. Scoop out the marrow and stir into the stew.
- Taste and adjust with salt and pepper if necessary. Serve with sour cream and fresh cilantro.
The spices in this dish go nicely with the rich lamb meat, but it's perfectly fine to use beef or pork. Consider combining different kinds of meat. Use marrow bone and pork spare ribs that are less lean than, for example, roast beef or pork roast.
Feel free to substitute other hearty greens for the bok choy.
I have the same question asked about the oxtail recipe but as yet no one has replied, waiting to hear from the actual creator of the recipe. Same with this. How can it be 16g? Just someone would wake up and reply who knows!! 😂
Yes, the carbs are from all of the veggies. The highest carb culprits are the onions, carrots and tomatoes.
That seems like a lot.