Keto tortilla with ground beef and salsa
- 2 2 eggeggs
- 2 2 egg whiteegg whites
- 5 oz. 150 g cream cheese, softened
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp 1½ tsp (4 g) ground psyllium husk powder
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp (8 g)
- 1 lb 450 g ground beef or ground lamb, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp Tex-Mex seasoning
- ½ cup 125 ml water
- salt and pepper
- 2 2 avocado, dicedavocados, diced
- 1 1 tomato, dicedtomatoes, diced
- 1 1 lime, the juicelimes, the juice
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup 120 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1½ cups 350 ml shredded Mexican cheese
- 3 oz. 75 g shredded lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the eggs and egg whites until fluffy, preferably for a few minutes. In a separate large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs to the cream cheese, and whisk until the eggs and cream cheese form a smooth batter.
- Mix salt, psyllium husk and coconut flour in a small bowl. Add the flour mix one spoon at a time into the batter and continue to whisk some more. Let the batter sit for a few minutes, or until the batter is thick like an American pancake batter. How fast the batter will swell depends on the brand of psyllium husk – some trial and error might be needed.
- Bring out two baking sheets and place parchment paper on each. Using a spatula, spread the batter thinly (no more than ¼ inch thick) into 4–6 circles or 2 rectangles.
- Bake on upper rack for about 5 minutes or more, until the tortilla turns a little brown around the edges. Carefully check the bottom side so that it doesn't burn.
- Place a large frying pan over medium high heat and heat up some oil. Add the ground beef and fry until cooked through.
- Add the tex-mex seasoning and water and stir. Let simmer until most of the water is gone. Taste to see if it needs additional seasoning.
SalsaIn the meantime, make the salsa from diced avocado, tomatoes, freshly squeezed lime juice, olive oil and a couple of handfuls of fresh cilantro. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve beef filling in a tortilla, with shredded cheese, salsa and shredded leafy greens.
Bring the ground beef out of the refrigerator a while before frying. Cold ground beef will cool down the frying pan and the ground beef will be boiled and not fried. The latter tastes a lot better.