Keto tortilla with ground beef and salsa
- 2 2 eggeggs
- 2 2 egg whiteegg whites
- 5 oz. 150 g cream cheese, softened
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp 1½ tsp (5 g) ground psyllium husk powder
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp (6 g)
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb 450 g ground beef or ground lamb, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp Tex-Mex seasoning
- ½ cup 125 ml water
- salt and pepper
- 2 2 avocado, dicedavocados, diced
- 1 1 tomato, dicedtomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup 125 ml , chopped
- salt and pepper
- 6 oz. 175 g shredded Mexican cheese
- 3 oz. 75 g shredded lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the eggs and egg whites until fluffy, preferably for a few minutes. In a separate large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs to the cream cheese, and whisk until the eggs and cream cheese form a smooth batter.
- Mix salt, psyllium husk and coconut flour in a small bowl. Add the flour mix one spoon at a time into the batter and continue to whisk some more. Let the batter sit for a few minutes, or until the batter is thick like an American pancake batter. How fast the batter will swell depends on the brand of psyllium husk – some trial and error might be needed.
- Bring out two baking sheets and place parchment paper on each. Using a spatula, spread the batter thinly (no more than ¼ inch thick) into 4–6 circles or 2 rectangles.
- Bake on upper rack for about 5 minutes or more, until the tortilla turns a little brown around the edges. Carefully check the bottom side so that it doesn't burn.
- Place a large frying pan over medium high heat and heat up the oil. Add the ground beef and fry until cooked through.
- Add the tex-mex seasoning and water and stir. Let simmer until most of the water is gone. Taste to see if it needs additional seasoning.
Salsa and serving
- Make the salsa from avocado, tomatoes, lime juice, olive oil and fresh cilantro. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve beef filling in a tortilla, with shredded cheese, salsa and shredded leafy greens.
Bring the ground beef out of the refrigerator a while before frying. Cold ground beef will cool down the frying pan and the ground beef will be boiled and not fried. The latter tastes a lot better.