Keto tortilla with ground beef and salsa
- 2 2 avocadoavocados
- 1 1 tomato, dicedtomatoes, diced
- ½ cup 120 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1 lime, the juicelimes, the juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb 450 g ground beef or ground lamb
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp Tex-Mex seasoning
- 1 cup 225 ml water
- salt and pepper
- 2 2 eggeggs
- 2 2 egg whiteegg whites
- 5 oz. 150 g cream cheese
- 1½ tsp 1½ tsp (4 g) ground psyllium husk powder
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp (8 g)
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups 350 ml shredded Mexican cheese
- 3 oz. 75 g shredded lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Whisk the eggs and egg whites fluffy and continue to whisk with a hand mixer, preferably for a few minutes. Add cream cheese and continue to whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Mix salt, psyllium husk and coconut flour in a small bowl. Add the flour mix one spoon at a time into the batter and continue to whisk some more. Let the batter sit for a few minutes, or until the batter is thick like an American pancake batter. How fast the batter will swell depends on the brand of psyllium husk – some trial and error might be needed.
- Bring out two baking sheets and place parchment paper on each. Using a spatula, spread the batter thinly (no more than ¼ inch thick) into 4–6 circles or 2 rectangles.
- Bake on upper rack for about 5 minutes or more, until the tortilla turns a little brown around the edges. Carefully check the bottom side so that it doesn't burn.
- Bring the ground beef out of the refrigerator a while before frying. Cold ground beef will cool down the frying pan and the ground beef will be boiled and not fried. The latter tastes a lot better.
- Place a large frying pan over medium high heat and heat up some oil. Add the ground beef and fry until cooked through.
- Add the tex-mex seasoning and water and stir. Let simmer until most of the water is gone. Taste to see if it needs additional seasoning.
- In the meantime, make the salsa from diced avocado, diced tomatoes, freshly squeezed lime juice, olive oil and a couple of handfuls of fresh cilantro. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in a tortilla bread, with shredded cheese and shredded leafy greens.