Treat yourself to a lovely meat-and-cheese-filled tortilla. With your own homemade keto bread and spice mix this Mexican favorite will not only be healthful, but also delicious!
- 1½ lbs 700 g ground beef or ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Tex-Mex seasoning, see recipe below
- 1 cup 225 ml water
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups 350 ml shredded cheese
- shredded leafy greens
- 2 2 avocadoavocados
- 1 1 tomato, dicedtomatoes, diced
- 8 tablespoons 120 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1 lime, the juicelimes, the juice
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons 2 teaspoons paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons 2 teaspoons onion powder or garlic powder
- 1 pinch 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Whisk the eggs and egg whites fluffy and continue to whisk with a hand mixer, preferably for a few minutes. Add cream cheese and continue to whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Mix salt, psyllium husk and coconut flour in a small bowl. Add the flour mix one spoon at a time into the batter and continue to whisk some more. Let the batter sit for a few minutes, or until the batter is thick like an American pancake batter. How fast the batter will swell depends on the brand of psyllium husk – some trial and error might be needed.
- Bring out two baking sheets and place parchment paper on each. Using a spatula, spread the batter thinly (no more than ¼ inch thick) into 4–6 circles or 2 rectangles.
- Bake on upper rack for about 5 minutes or more, until the tortilla turns a little brown around the edges. Carefully check the bottom side so that it doesn't burn.
- Bring out the ground beef a while before frying. Cold ground beef will cool down the frying pan and the ground beef will be boiled and not fried. The latter tastes a lot better.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the ground beef. Fry for at least 10 minutes.
- Add the taco seasoning, water and salt and stir. Let simmer until most of the water is gone.
- In the meantime, make the salsa from diced avocado, diced tomatoes, freshly squeezed lime juice, olive oil and a couple of handfuls of fresh cilantro. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in a tortilla bread, with shredded cheese and shredded leafy greens.