Keto tortilla with ground beef and salsa
- 2 2 eggeggs
- 2 2 egg whiteegg whites
- 5 oz. (2⁄3 cup) 140 g (150 ml) cream cheese, softened
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp 1½ tsp ground psyllium husk powder
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb 450 g ground beef or ground turkey, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp Tex-Mex seasoning
- ½ cup 120 ml water
- salt and pepper
- 1½ cups (6 oz.) 350 ml (170 g) shredded Mexican cheese
- 3 oz. (21⁄3 cups) 85 g (550 ml) shredded lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the eggs and egg whites until fluffy, preferably for a few minutes. In a separate large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs to the cream cheese, and whisk until the eggs and cream cheese form a smooth batter.
- Mix salt, psyllium husk, and coconut flour in a small bowl. Add the flour mix one spoon at a time into the batter and continue to whisk some more. Let the batter sit for a few minutes, or until the batter is thick like an American pancake batter. How fast the batter will swell depends on the brand of psyllium husk – some trial and error might be needed.
- Bring out two baking sheets and place parchment paper on each. Using a spatula, spread the batter thinly (no more than ¼ inch thick, 0.5cm) into 4–6 circles or 2 rectangles.
- Bake on the upper rack for about 5 minutes or more, until the tortilla turns a little brown around the edges. Carefully check the bottom side so that it doesn't burn.
- Place a large frying pan over medium-high heat and heat up the oil. Add the ground beef and fry until cooked through.
- Add the tex-mex seasoning and water and stir. Let simmer until most of the water is gone. Taste to see if it needs additional seasoning.
Salsa and serving
- Make the salsa from avocado, tomatoes, lime juice, olive oil, and fresh cilantro. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve beef filling in a tortilla, with shredded cheese, salsa, and shredded leafy greens.
Bring the ground beef out of the refrigerator before frying. Cold ground beef will cool down the frying pan and the ground beef will be boiled and not fried. The latter tastes a lot better.
Recommended special equipment
Blender or food processor