Ground beef and cheese. Onions, pickles and tomatoes. Even mustard. It's a deconstructed cheeseburger... reassembled into a yummy low-carb casserole. Who knew cauliflower could serve as the bun?
- 1 lb 450 g cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1 yellow onionyellow onions
- 1 1 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb 450 g ground beef
- 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 14 oz. 400 g canned whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2⁄3 lb 300 g shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 2 2 dill pickledill pickles
- 51⁄3 oz. 150 g lettuce
- 4 tablespoons 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Trim the cauliflower and cut into small florets or chop into a rough, one inch dice.
- Boil in lightly-salted water for about 3 minutes. Drain thoroughly in a strainer.
- Fry the onion and garlic in olive oil in a non-stick skillet until soft and translucent.
- Add ground beef and continue to fry while stirring until cooked through.
- Add tomato paste and stir.
- Drain the canned tomatoes and chop into bite-sized pieces. Add to pan along with mustard and spices. Season to taste.
- Lower the heat and let simmer for at least 10 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. Mix the ground beef mixture, cauliflower and two thirds of the shredded cheese.
- Pour in a greased baking dish and add the rest of the cheese on top. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with pickles, lettuce and olive oil.
Want ketchup on that? Try our low-carb ketchup recipe!