Low carb ketchup
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ (2 oz.) ½ (55 g) grated or finely chopped grated or finely chopped
- 1 1 pressed garlic clovepressed garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp
- 1⁄3 cup 80 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 1 1 bay leafbay leaves
- 1 tsp 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp coriander seed
- ½ tsp ½ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 pinch 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 14 oz. (12⁄3 cups) 400 g (400 ml) canned whole tomatoes
- Fry the onion, garlic and tomato paste in oil for a couple of minutes over medium heat in a nonstick saucepan. The onion should become soft and glossy, not browned.
- Add vinegar, bay leaves, spices and canned tomatoes. Stir and simmer for a couple of more minutes.
- Lower the heat and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.
- Puree the ketchup with an immersion blender or blend in a mixer until smooth. Taste and adjust flavor, adding more salt, freshly ground black pepper or vinegar as needed.
- Depending on how thick you want your ketchup to be, you can let it simmer longer over low heat. Store in the fridge for 1-2 weeks or freeze.
Canned whole tomatoes have the best taste, especially San Marzano, but good-quality crushed or pureed tomatoes of any variety work well, too.