Low carb eggplant gratin
Savory eggplant. Salty, creamy feta. Luscious heavy whipping cream. When you all come together, it’s a party in a baking dish. Oh, low carb gratin, we love you.
- 2 lbs 900 g eggplant
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter or olive oil, for frying
- 2 (8 oz.) 2 (220 g) yellow onionyellow onions
- 5½ oz. (1 cup) 160 g (250 ml) feta cheese
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp dried mint
- 1⁄3 cup (1⁄5 oz.) 80 ml (5.5 g) fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup (4 oz.) 240 ml (110 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup 180 ml heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Slice the eggplants into 1/2 inch thick (1cm) slices.
- Brush olive oil on both sides of the slices and sprinkle with salt. Place on parchment paper on a baking tray and bake 15-20 minutes until golden. Remove when done, set aside and turn up the oven to 450°F (220°C).
- In the meantime, thinly slice the onion with a food processor or mandoline.
- Sauté the onion in butter in a medium frying pan over medium heat until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a layer of baked eggplant slices in a baking dish, then half of the onions, mint, parsley and 2/3 of the feta cheese.
- Add a final layer of eggplant and the rest of the onion.
- Finish with additional feta and grated cheese on top.
- Pour the cream over the entire dish and bake for 30 minutes until the gratin is a lovely golden color and the cream is bubbly.
Garnish with parsley for a festive presentation!
Loved it ! Need to try the others….
I lived in Holland for years and was always able to find whipping cream. it is the fat content you need to look for usually 35% can't remember what it is called now.
If you hold your mouse pointer over "Liberal low carb", then you will get that info.
Peter - Team DietDoctor
Maybe you can get clotted cream? I'm no expert but perhaps ask the DietDoctor experts if you can use half cream and butter? There is more fat in double cream.
I have been testing ketones for a week, and a little more strict to the low carb / keto lifestyle. At Christmas I weighed 223 pounds . On Jan. 12,2019 I am down to 200 pounds. And light keto flu. But, wow what a great difference.
And I'm not very fond of eggplant. But it worked marvellously.
I did double the feta cheese :)
Everyone at the table wanted to have some more.
I'll be cooking this one many more times, for sure.
That does sound delicious. More feta is always a great option!
Such a refreshing, wonderful dish. It lightened my mood in the now darker days of the season
5 years late, but in case of other duchies - just use slagroom (fresh one, next to creme fraiche - it will even say normally say 'for hot or cold meals') or kookroom. I personally prefer slagroom.
Hi, Petra! If you like goat cheese, I bet that would be a good substitute!
So glad that you enjoyed this recipe!