Low carb eggplant gratin
- 2 lbs 900 g
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter or olive oil, for frying
- 2 (8 oz.) 2 (220 g)
- 5½ oz. (1 cup) 160 g (250 ml) feta cheese
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp dried mint
- 1⁄3 cup (1⁄5 oz.) 80 ml (5.5 g) fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup (4 oz.) 240 ml (110 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup 180 ml
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Slice the eggplants into 1/2 inch thick (1cm) slices.
- Brush olive oil on both sides of the slices and sprinkle with salt. Place on parchment paper on a baking tray and bake 15-20 minutes until golden. Remove when done, set aside and turn up the oven to 450°F (220°C).
- In the meantime, thinly slice the onion with a food processor or mandoline.
- Sauté the onion in butter in a medium frying pan over medium heat until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a layer of baked eggplant slices in a baking dish, then half of the onions, mint, parsley and 2/3 of the feta cheese.
- Add a final layer of eggplant and the rest of the onion.
- Finish with additional feta and grated cheese on top.
- Pour the cream over the entire dish and bake for 30 minutes until the gratin is a lovely golden color and the cream is bubbly.
Garnish with parsley for a festive presentation!