Low-carb eggplant gratin
- 2 lbs 900 g
- 2 (8 oz.) 2 (220 g)
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter or olive oil, for frying
- 5½ oz. (1 cup) 160 g (250 ml) feta cheese
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp dried mint
- 1⁄3 cup (1⁄5 oz.) 80 ml (5.5 g) fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup (4 oz.) 240 ml (110 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup 180 ml
- salt and pepper
- Slice the eggplants into 1/2 inch thick (1cm) slices.
- Apply olive oil and salt with a brush on both sides and place on parchment paper on a baking tray. Bake in oven at 400°F (200°C) until golden.
- In the meantime, slice the onion thinly, with a food processor or mandoline.
- Sauté the onion in a medium frying pan over medium heat until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a layer of baked eggplant slices a baking pan, then half of the onions, mint, parsley and 2/3 of the feta cheese.
- Add a final layer of eggplant and the rest of the onion.
- Finish with additional feta cheese and grated cheese on top.
- Pour the cream over the eggplant, cheese, onion, herbs. Place the baking dish in the oven at 450°F (220°C) for 30 minutes until the gratin is golden color and the cream is bubbly.
Garnish with parsley for a festive presentation!