Creamed green cabbage
- 1½ lbs 650 g green cabbage
- 2 oz. 55 g butter
- 1¼ cups 300 ml heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup (¼ oz.) 120 ml (8 g) fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Shred the cabbage using a food processor or, slice it thinly using a sharp knife.
- Melt the butter in a large, frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage and sauté for a few minutes, or until soft and golden brown.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 3-5 minutes, or until the cream is reduced and texture is creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the parsley and lemon zest just before serving.
If you want to reduce your dairy consumption you can swap out the heavy whipping cream and use coconut milk or coconut cream.
Note on Gremolata
Gremolata is an Italian condiment with lemon zest, parsley, and (usually) finely chopped garlic. In this case, we have omitted the garlic, as the green cabbage and the heavy whipping cream's sweetness are better exposed this way. But if you love garlic—go for it!
Yes, that is fine!
Yes, that would be fine.
Those are great tweaks to this recipe! Thank you for taking the time to let us know.
So glad you love it, Maria!