- 1½ lbs 650 g leekleeks
- 2 oz. 55 g butter
- 1 cup 240 ml
- 4 oz. (1 cup) 110 g (230 ml) cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 oz. (91⁄3 tbsp) 28 g (140 ml) fresh chives finely chopped
- 1 pinch 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C), or turn on the broiler.
- Trim and rinse the leeks thoroughly. Cut in half, lengthwise, and cut stalks into 4-inch long pieces.
- Fry leeks in butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Alternatively, let them simmer in lightly salted water for a few minutes. If you do use water, be sure to drain off all the liquid before proceeding.
- Place leeks in a baking dish.
- Bring the cream to a boil in a saucepan. Lower the heat and add the cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add nutmeg and chopped chives (optional).
- Pour the cheese sauce over the leeks. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or broil, watching closely, until the dish has turned a nice golden color.
Leeks are easily forgotten, but their mild creaminess goes with everything... meat, poultry, fish, and eggs. Smoked salmon, anyone? What are you waiting for?