Low carb cabbage casserole
- 2 lbs 900 g
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) , thinly sliced, thinly sliced
- 2 2 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 4 oz. 110 g butter
- 1½ cups 350 ml
- ½ cup 120 ml
- 6 oz. (¾ cup) 170 g (180 ml) cream cheese
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp ranch seasoning
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cups (6 oz.) 350 ml (170 g) shredded cheddar cheese
- unsalted butter for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease a 13 x 9" (33 x 23 cm) baking dish.
- Shred the green cabbage using a sharp knife, mandolin slicer, or a food processor.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry the cabbage, onion, and garlic for 8-10 minutes, or until the cabbage is softened. Add the heavy cream, sour cream, cream cheese, and spices. Reduce heat to medium-low, stir together and simmer uncovered for 5-10 minutes, or until combined and creamy.
- Spread the mixture into the baking dish and sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake on the middle rack, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and is lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
These rich flavors pair beautifully with grilled - or fried - meat and fish. Whip up a double batch, and freeze the extra in small containers for a quick side dish any night of the week. Save even more time by using pre-shredded coleslaw – just avoid mixes with carrots if you can.