Low carb cabbage casserole
- 2 lbs 900 g green cabbage
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) yellow onion, thinly slicedyellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 2 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 4 oz. 110 g butter
- 1½ cups 350 ml heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup 120 ml sour cream
- 6 oz. (¾ cup) 170 g (180 ml) cream cheese
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp ranch seasoning
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cups (6 oz.) 350 ml (170 g) shredded cheddar cheese
- unsalted butter for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease a 13 x 9" (33 x 23 cm) baking dish.
- Shred the green cabbage using a sharp knife, mandolin slicer, or a food processor.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry the cabbage, onion, and garlic for 8-10 minutes, or until the cabbage is softened. Add the heavy cream, sour cream, cream cheese, and spices. Reduce heat to medium-low, stir together and simmer uncovered for 5-10 minutes, or until combined and creamy.
- Spread the mixture into the baking dish and sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake on the middle rack, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and is lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
These rich flavors pair beautifully with grilled - or fried - meat and fish. Whip up a double batch, and freeze the extra in small containers for a quick side dish any night of the week. Save even more time by using pre-shredded coleslaw – just avoid mixes with carrots if you can.
The words ranch seasoning hyperlink to a recipe on our website. It uses very common spices that you may already have on hand.
Cabbage, onion, garlic, whipping cream, sour cream - they all have carbs and can add up quickly!
ate about 73g pf protein today, 81g of fat, 14g of carbs and in this i had choc pudding! >> CANNOT EAT MORE!
Hi Mary, so glad that you and your husband enjoyed! It mentions freezing a double portion in the tips, so you can certainly freeze and reheat this if you would like. It may change consistency slightly on reheat, but you may want to look through our freezer-friendly guide for some helpful hints https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/keto-meal-prepping-and-fr.... I hope that helps!
Hi, Brenda! I bet some red pepper flakes would be a nice addition. Let us know what you try!
I hope you enjoyed this dish!
As long as it's greased well, it should be fine, however the baking time may differ.
We haven't tried with purple cabbage, but I bet it would work the same. Let us know if you decide to try it!