Low carb eggplant towers
These colorful eggplant towers are low in carbs, but high on flavor. This delicious starter or side dish requires minimal preparation: just slice and stack the ingredients for an impressive presentation with all the wonderful flavors of the Mediterranean.
- 8 oz. (5½ cups) 230 g (1.3 liters) fresh basil
- ½ cup 120 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ tbsp 1½ tbsp balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1 1 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (18 oz.) 1 (500 g) eggplant (about 17 oz/500 g each)
- 9 oz. (21⁄3 cups) 250 g (550 ml) fresh mozzarella cheese log
- 2 (8 oz.) 2 (230 g) tomato (about 5 oz/140 g each)tomatoes (about 5 oz/140 g each)
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 oz. (3½ cups) 140 g (800 ml) fresh basil
- 4 oz. 110 g cherry tomatoes
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- For the basil dressing, put the basil, garlic, salt and olive oil in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Cut the eggplant, mozzarella and tomato into ½" (1 cm) slices.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, and fry the eggplant until golden.
- To assemble the dish, place an eggplant slice in the center of each plate, then add a slice of mozzarella followed by a tomato slice.
- Add a spoonful of the basil dressing.
- Continue the process on individual plates until all the ingredients have been used, about 6 slices per tower.
- Finish off your creations by drizzling some more basil dressing over top and scattering some cherry tomato halves around the plate.
When you prepare the basil dressing, consider making a larger quantity and keeping some ready-made in the refrigerator. That way you will have a tasty dressing to hand for whenever you want to give an extra touch to any Mediterranean dish!