Low-carb asparagus salad with walnuts
- ½ cup (1¾ oz.) 120 ml (50 g) walnuts, chopped
- 11⁄10 lbs 500 g fresh green asparagus
- 1 1 lemon, zest and juicelemons, zest and juice
- 1 pinch 1 pinch chili flakes
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup 60 ml avocado oil
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp extra light olive oil
- ½ cup 120 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ oz. (2½ tbsp) 14 g (37 ml) fresh mint, for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350º F/ 175º C.
- Place the walnuts on a baking sheet, and toast in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until they are lightly golden.
- While the walnuts are in the oven, prepare the asparagus by cutting off the bottom ends, which are quite fibrous and tough (See the Tips section below, for an easy method). Next, cut the remaining asparagus into thin, angled slices.
- Put the lemon zest and juice in a bowl. Add the hot chili flakes, salt, avocado oil and olive oil.
- Add the parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Add the asparagus slices to the bowl along with the toasted walnuts. Mix the salad gently but well using a rubber spatula.
- Decorate the salad with the mint leaves and serve immediately.
The tough, bottom sections of the asparagus stalks can be easily removed. Simply take each stem and fold it gently. The asparagus will break exactly where the tough part of the stalk begins. Throw away the tough part and use the tender part of the stalks to make the salad.
Asparagus is very low in carbs, making it just perfect for low-carb and keto diets. Check our vegetable guide to find out about other low-carb vegetables.