Go Greek, Swedish-style, with this classic salad. Naturally low carb. Naturally delicious. This authentic recipe comes from Team Diet Doctor's cinematographer and video editor, Giorgos Chloros, who grew up in Greece but now resides in Stockholm.
- 2 (8 oz.) 2 (230 g) ripe tomatoripe tomatoes
- ½ (51⁄3 oz.) ½ (150 g) cucumber
- ½ (2 oz.) ½ (55 g) red onionred onions
- ½ (2½ oz.) ½ (70 g) green bell peppergreen bell peppers
- 10 oz. (2 cups) 280 g (450 ml) feta cheese
- 10 10 black greek olives
- ¼ cup 60 ml olive oil
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp 2 tsp dried oregano
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Chop the tomatoes and cucumber into bite-sized pieces. Thinly slice the red onion and green bell pepper. Arrange on a serving platter or plate the salad on individual serving plates.
- Add the feta cheese and olives, and drizzle olive oil and red wine vinegar over the salad.
- Season with salt and pepper according to taste. Sprinkle with dried oregano and serve.
Want a different look? Try cherry tomatoes or swap the colors around — yellow tomatoes with orange or red bell peppers are just as pretty. You can also crumble the feta and sprinkle it over. Different presentations, but the same classic taste.
At 15g carbs, you could start with reducing the number of tomatoes or greens.
I generally put a lot of leaves in my salads (lettuce, spinach, arugula etc), but keep in mind that every salad is gonna be high in carbs especially if you love veggies, so I usually eat them only when I know that I had a "low carb day".. so if I had bacon and eggs for breakfast, and then salmon and avocado for lunch
I just change the bell pepper to orange or yellow to have different colours and vitamins ;)
One small tip: after chopping the onions, but the slices on a cold water bath for a few minutes. It decreases the acidity.
Wonderful recipe and a deliciously beautiful photo as well.
Hi, Lynn! You can simply omit the olives if you like! Or you can substitute with more of one of the other ingredients that you prefer.
Hi, Cynthia! Unfortunately, this isn't one of our keto recipes. This is a moderate low carb recipe, as indicated by the yellow circle with the carb count. Basically everything in this recipe has carbs, aside from the olive oil. You could choose to eat a smaller portion if you're wanting it to fit for keto, but it may still be too many carbs for your day depending on your other meals.