Missing potato gratin? Well friends, it’s time to (drum roll, please)... embrace the turnip! This creamy side couldn’t be easier to put together. A wonderfully flavorful, low-carb dish. The perfect complement to meat or fish! Mmmm.
- ½ ½ yellow onionyellow onions
- 1½ lbs 700 g turnip
- 1 1 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- 8 tablespoons 120 ml fresh chives, finely chopped
- 2 oz. 50 g butter
- 1¼ cups 300 ml heavy whipping cream
- 7 oz. 200 g shredded cheese
- ½ teaspoon ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Peel the onion, garlic and turnip. Slice everything very thinly – ideally with a mandolin or food processor.
- Finely chop the chives.
- Grease a 9" baking dish with butter and alternate slices of onion, garlic and turnip with chives and most of the cheese, save some to go on top. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cream and remaining cheese on top. Bake for about 30 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.
This dish can be made dairy free if you substitute the cream with coconut milk and skip the cheese.
For the best flavor, select turnips that have a smooth skin and are about the size of a tennis ball.