Missing potato gratin? Well friends, it’s time to (drum roll, please)... embrace the turnip! This creamy side couldn’t be easier to put together. A wonderfully flavorful, low-carb dish. The perfect complement to meat or fish! Mmmm.
- 1½ lbs 700 g turnip
- ½ ½ yellow onionyellow onions
- 1 1 garlic clovegarlic cloves
- 8 tablespoons 120 ml fresh chives, finely chopped
- 2 oz. 50 g butter
- ¼ teaspoon 1.25 ml heavy whipping cream or coconut milk
- 7 oz. 200 g shredded cheese
- ½ teaspoon ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Peel the onion and turnip. Slice both very thinly – ideally with a mandolin or food processor.
- Finely chop the chives and/or the garlic. Alternate with slices of onion and turnip in a greased baking dish, but save some of the cheese to go on top. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cream or coconut milk (discard most of the excess coconut liquid) and add the cheese on top. Bake for about 30 minutes until bubbly and browned.
This dish can be made dairy free if you substitute the cream with coconut milk and skip the cheese.
For the best flavor, select turnips that have a smooth skin and are about the size of a tennis ball.