- 2⁄3 lb 300 g eggplant
- 4 tablespoons 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1 yellow onionyellow onions
- 2 2 garlic clove, choppedgarlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon paprika powder
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1¼ lbs 500 g ground chicken, or any other ground meat
- ½ cup 125 ml tomato sauce
- 3 oz. 75 g cream cheese
- ½ cup 125 ml heavy whipping cream
- 1 1 garlic clove, pressedgarlic cloves, pressed
- ¼ teaspoon ¼ teaspoon salt
- 7 oz. 200 g shredded cheese
- 3 oz. 75 g leafy greens (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 360°F (185°C).
- Cut the eggplant into small dices, around half an inch (1x1 cm). In a large frying pan, fry eggplant in olive oil on medium heat. Salt and pepper.
- Add chopped onion, garlic and spices. Fry for a few minutes until the onion and eggplant start to soften and get some color.
- Add ground meat and fry until cooked through. Stir in tomato sauce and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- In a saucepan, mix the ingredients for the cheese sauce - save half of the cheese for the top! Let simmer for a few minutes until it thickens.
- Transfer the meat into a large baking dish or several small ones. Pour the sauce on top and top with the remaining cheese.
- Place in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the cheese turns a nice golden color. Serve with leafy greens.
Moussaka is the perfect dish to prepare when you’re expecting a crowd and it also works great for your lunchbox. It’s also one of those dishes that tastes even better the next day!
For the extra Greek touch, treat yourself to a nice salad to go with the moussaka – leafy greens with feta cheese, red onion and olives.