Low carb moussaka
- 1 lb 450 g
- ¼ cup 60 ml olive oil
- 1 (4 oz.) 1 (110 g) , chopped, chopped
- 2 2 garlic clove, choppedgarlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1¼ lbs 550 g ground chicken, or any other ground meat
- ½ cup 120 ml
- ½ cup 120 ml
- 3 oz. (6 tbsp) 85 g (90 ml) cream cheese
- 1 1 garlic clove, pressedgarlic cloves, pressed
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups (8 oz.) 475 ml (230 g) shredded Gouda cheese, divided
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
- 3 oz. (1½ cups) 85 g (350 ml) leafy greens (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Chop the eggplant into roughly 1/2-inch (1x1 cm) cubes. There's no need to peel it. In a large frying pan, fry eggplant in olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the yellow onion, garlic, ground cinnamon, paprika powder, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Fry for a few minutes until the onion and eggplant start to soften and brown.
- Add the ground chicken and fry until cooked through. Stir in the tomato sauce and simmer for a few minutes.
- In a saucepan, combine the heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, garlic, salt, and half the Gouda cheese (save the other half for later). Simmer for a few minutes until it thickens. Add ground nutmeg if you're using any, and stir well.
- Transfer the ground chicken to a large baking dish or several small ones. Pour the cheese sauce over the top and sprinkle over the remaining Gouda cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the cheese turns golden. Serve with leafy greens.