- 1 1 medium sized eggplant
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1 yellow onion, choppedyellow onions, chopped
- 2 2 garlic clove, choppedgarlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1¼ lbs 550 g ground chicken, or any other ground meat
- ½ cup 125 ml tomato sauce
- 3 oz. 75 g cream cheese
- ½ cup 125 ml heavy whipping cream
- 1 1 garlic clove, pressedgarlic cloves, pressed
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp salt
- 7 oz. 200 g gouda cheese, shredded
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
- 3 oz. 75 g leafy greens (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cut the eggplant into small dices, around half an inch (1x1 cm), no need to peel it. In a large frying pan, fry eggplant in olive oil on medium heat. Salt and pepper.
- Add onion, garlic and spices. Fry for a few minutes until the onion and eggplant start to soften and get some color.
- Add ground meat and fry until cooked through. Stir in tomato sauce and simmer for a few minutes.
- In a saucepan, mix the ingredients for the cheese sauce - save half of the cheese for the top! Let simmer for a few minutes until it thickens. Add ground nutmeg if you're using any, and stir well.
- Transfer the meat into a large baking dish or several small ones. Pour the sauce on top and top with the remaining cheese.
- Place in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the cheese gets a nice golden color. Serve with leafy greens.
Moussaka is the perfect dish to prepare when you're expecting a crowd and it also works great for your lunchbox. It's also one of those dishes that tastes even better the next day!
For the extra Greek touch, treat yourself to a nice salad to go with the moussaka - leafy greens with feta cheese, red onion and olives.
If you're using a cast iron skillet (or any oven safe skillet) for frying the meat, you can easily pour the cheese sauce on top of the mince and build your lasagna in the skillet instead of having to use an extra baking dish. Saves time and cleaning up will be easier too!