Stuffed chicken breast with zoodles and tomato sauce
- 5 oz. 150 g baby spinach
- salt and pepper
- 8 oz. 225 g goat cheese or ricotta cheese
- 4 4 chicken breastchicken breasts
- 4 oz. 110 g cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 oz. 50 g butter
- grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1 shallot, finely choppedshallots, finely chopped
- 2 2 garlic clove, mincedgarlic cloves, minced
- 2 oz. 50 g butter
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- 14 oz. 400 g crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp ½ tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- 2 2 zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Sauté the baby spinach until it shrinks. Salt and pepper. Place in a bowl and mix with the goat cheese.
- Slice the chicken breasts lengthwise, but don't cut all the way through. Place in a greased baking dish. Fill the chicken breasts with the ricotta cheese mix and sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Add dollops of the rest of the butter.
- Bake in oven for about 20–30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked all the way through. You can later pour the juices into the tomato sauce, giving it additional flavor.
- Fry shallot and onion in butter until soft without letting it turn brown. Add tomato paste, vinegar, crushed tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the herbs. Let simmer on low heat for at least 15 minutes and salt and pepper to taste. (NOTE: The sauce will be enough for two batches, so freeze half of it and save for another time or use it for a low-carb pizza).
- Make spirals out of the zucchini, so called zoodles, with a spiralizer. If you don't have a spiralizer you can make thin zucchini strips with a potato peeler.
- Fold in the zoodles in the hot tomato sauce and serve immediately with the chicken.
You can make the tomato sauce while the chicken is in the oven, or you can make it first, so that it has more time to simmer and develop more flavor. Tomato sauces only get better, the longer they are allowed to simmer.
Although the sauce is enhanced by the powerful flavors of dried herbs, garnishing the dish with fresh herbs makes it incredibly fresh and festive.