Butter-baked fish with Brussels sprouts and mushrooms
- 1 lb 450 g Brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp salt
- 1⁄8 tsp 1⁄8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter, for frying
- 7 oz. (2¾ cups) 200 g (700 ml) mushrooms, halved or quartered
- ½ tsp ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp non-pareil small capers, drained
- 1½ lbs 650 g cod, boneless fillet, skinnedcod, boneless fillets, skinned
- salt and pepper
Pink herb butter
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the herb butter ingredients, and set aside.
- Place the Brussels sprouts in a large baking dish. Drizzle the olive oil on top, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Bake on the middle rack, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium-sized frying pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and thyme, and fry for about 10 minutes, or until tender. Add the capers, stirring together for about 2-3 minutes, to combine flavors. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove the Brussels sprouts from the oven, and spoon the mushroom-caper mixture on top.
- Season the cod fillets with salt and pepper, and place the fillets on top of the vegetables. Spread the herb butter onto the fillets. Bake on the middle rack, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Plate the fish with vegetables and enjoy!
Veggies and fish
If pink peppercorns are hard to find, you can use white, black, or a mixed medley of peppercorns.
Mix it up
Cod is great, but other white fish works well too. Haddock, flounder, halibut, tilapia, and catfish are just a few to try.