Keto cheesy chicken spaghetti squash
- 2 lbs 900 g spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb 450 g ground chicken or ground turkey
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tbsp ½ tbsp garlic powder or minced garlic cloveminced garlic cloves
- 1 pinch 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup 225 ml
- 2 oz. 50 g cream cheese
- ¼ cup 60 ml (20 g) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup 225 ml (100 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Slice spaghetti squash in half by cutting lengthwise with a sharp knife. Be careful, it can be quite hard. Scoop out the seeds and fibers with a spoon.
- Place halves with the cut side up in a large baking dish or baking tray. Brush with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and bake until soft, for about 30-40 minutes, depending on the size of the spaghetti squash. If you need more help dealing with the pumpkin, scroll down for more detailed instructions with pictures.
- Heat a large frying pan and add the butter. When it starts to sizzle, add the ground meat and the spices. Fry until browned, for about 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat slightly and add cream, cream cheese, parmesan, and two-thirds of the mozzarella. Let simmer for a few minutes until creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the pumpkin is ready, remove from the oven and raise the oven temperature to 450°F (230°C). Loosen the pumpkin flesh with a fork but without scraping it out. Gently press down the flesh and pour over the creamy chicken sauce. Top with the rest of the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese gets a nice golden color.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and finely chopped parsley.
Preparing the pumpkin
Step 1: Cut the spaghetti squash with a sharp knife.
Step 2: Scoop out the seeds and fibers with a spoon.
Step 3: Brush with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in the oven for about 30 minutes.
Step 4: Scrape and loosen the pumpkin flesh with a fork.
Can I use other types of squash?
If you don't have access to spaghetti squash, you can also use butternut squash. However, keep in mind that it contains way more carbohydrates than spaghetti squash. 2 lbs (900 g) of butternut squash contains 92 g net carbs.
Depending on the size of your pumpkin, it might take more or less time to bake in the oven, so adjust the time accordingly. If you have a larger pumpkin around 2.5 lbs (1 kg), it will take more time in the oven.
Don't throw away the pumpkin seeds! Get rid of all the threads around the seeds, clean and rinse them properly. Sprinkle with some oil, salt and pepper and roast them in the oven on 350°F (175°C) for about 30 minutes.
Do you like some heat? Add a few drops of hot sauce or tabasco when serving the cheesy chicken spaghetti squash.