Sweet and sticky keto chicken wings
- 2 lbs 900 g chicken wings
- ¼ cup 60 ml coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 450°F (225°C).
- Place the wings, with the thicker skin side up, on a rimmed baking sheet fitted with a wire rack. (The wire rack helps promote even cooking).
- Bake the wings for 35 minutes.
- When the wings have about 12 minutes left to bake, start making the sauce.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat, and add the coconut aminos, soy sauce, and seasoning.
- Once the sauce comes to a simmer, begin stirring. Continue to stir periodically, adjusting the heat as needed to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Once the sauce has thickened slightly (pull the spoon through the sauce and it should take a few seconds for the "trail" to fill) you can turn off the heat while the wings finish cooking.
- Place the wings in a large heatproof bowl and pour the sauce over them. Stir to coat evenly and serve with plenty of napkins.
Recommended special equipment
Rimmed baking sheet with wire racks.
Air fryer method
Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C).
Dry the wings thoroughly with a paper towel. Wipe the air fryer basket lightly with a drop of avocado oil or spray.
Place the chicken wings in the air fryer basket and air fry for 20 minutes, turning halfway through, until cooked and crispy.
While they're frying, make the sauce (step 4). Pour the sauce over the wings, toss to cover them all, and serve.
Break out the grill! Use medium-low heat and flip periodically to ensure even cooking. It should take about 30 minutes to cook the wings completely.
About This Recipe
The recipe is inspired by Primal Palate – reposted with permission.
Hayley and Bill at Primal Palate have written two cook books, Make it Paleo with over 200 grain-free recipes for any occasion, and Make it Paleo II, with more than 175 new grain-free recipes for the Primal Palate.
Part of me wants to puree a date into the sauce.
"Total carbohydrate: 1 g"
I don't know where did you get 34 carbs from..
Couldn't stop eating them :)
The weight of meat is not equal to grams of protein. This recipe is 40g protein per serving.
Thanks so much for your feedback. We've listened, re-tested this recipe, and improved it a bit with less coconut aminos (less sweet) and added tamari soy instead of the salt. We hope once you try it again yourself, you'll notice the difference — and love it as much as we do.
/The recipe team
The amount of salt in the tamari and coconut aminos will vary greatly by brand. I am glad you were able to make it work. This one is frequently requested by my family.
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I definitely agree, they are a favorite here as well. I have shared your kind words with the rest of the Recipe Team.
In this case, heatproof just means a bowl that can withstand the heat without cracking or other damage. It's specified because these wings are cooked at a higher temp than many other recipes.