Low carb orange chicken
Classic, Asian-inspired orange chicken is now healthy! Skip the usual breading and sugar with this upgraded version. High protein chicken breasts are dredged in coconut flour, sauteed with fresh veggies, and given a touch of sweetness from fresh orange juice.
- 1½ lbs 650 g chicken breastchicken breasts
- 1 1 large egglarge eggs
- 4 tbsp 4 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp coconut oil
Orange sauce and veggies
- 1 1 orange, zest and juiceoranges, zest and juice
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste (or fresh minced)
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- ½ tsp ½ tsp arrowroot powder (optional)
- 2 (10 oz.) 2 (280 g) orange bell pepper, cut into bite-sized piecesorange bell peppers, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 oz. (9 tbsp) 55 g (130 ml) scallion, chopped diagonallyscallions, chopped diagonally
- 2 tsp 2 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
This recipe has been added to the shopping list.
Making low carb simple
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Crack the egg into a bowl and with a fork beat until the egg white and yolk are well combined.
- In a second bowl, combine the coconut flour, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the chicken pieces into egg mixture until covered. Then dip each chicken piece in the coconut flour, covering it on all sides.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan with coconut oil. When hot, add the chicken. Make sure the pieces don't touch. If all the chicken does not fit at once, fry it in batches. Fry until golden and no longer pink inside. (It will take about 5 minutes, depending on the size of your chicken pieces.) Remove from the pan when done and let drain on a paper towel.
- Add all the ingredients for the sauce to the wok or frying pan, whisk until combined, and let it simmer for a couple of minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the bell pepper and scallions. Cook for a couple of minutes until tender, then bring back the chicken to the wok. Toss around until everything is covered in the sauce. Garnish with sesame seeds when serving.
Thanks for sharing! So glad you enjoyed it!
Hi, Deana! The calories per serving are listed with the nutritional information. This feature is now a DD+ benefit. If you're a member, be sure you're logged in! If you're not a member yet, you can sign up for a free month if you'd like to access this info! https://www.dietdoctor.com/new-member
Thanks for your feedback, Carole! You should be able to double the ingredients for the sauce if needed. We hope you'll give it another try!