Low-carb Asian style chicken wings
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp light olive oil
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 lbs 900 g chicken wings
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 2 tbsp 2 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1½ lbs 650 g bok choy
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 oz. (4⁄5 cup) 85 g (200 ml) , cut on the bias, cut on the bias
- 1 1 fresh, red chili pepper, cut width-wise into circlesfresh, red chili peppers, cut width-wise into circles
- ¼ cup 60 ml cashew nuts (optional)
Marinade and wings
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Set aside a broiler pan, or a baking pan with a wire tray rack.
- In a small bowl, mix together the marinade ingredients. Place the wings into a large bowl, or a plastic bag, and pour two-thirds of the marinade over the wings. Marinate for a minimum of 10 minutes, or refrigerate overnight.
- Using tongs, place the wings on the broiler pan or wire tray rack, and bake for 30-35 minutes, depending upon the size of the wings. Remove from oven, brush the remaining marinade over the wings, and bake for another 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the tamari soy sauce, olive oil, and sesame seeds. Set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large frying pan, over medium-high heat. In batches, fry the bok choy for about 5 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- For serving, place the wings and bok choy onto individual plates. Drizzle the tamari dressing over the wings and bok choy, and sprinkle the scallions, chili pepper, and cashew nuts (optional) on top. Enjoy!
Feel free to use any cruciferous or cabbage-like vegetable in place of the bok choy. Savoy cabbage, Napa cabbage, broccoli, broccolini, and gai lan all work with this recipe.
Coconut oil: Use unrefined coconut oil for added coconut flavor, or refined coconut oil for a flavorless oil.
If you like wings with an extra-crispy texture, increase the temperature after baking, and broil for 1-3 minutes (watch carefully to avoid burning!).